Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Would like to understand button/feature order. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DevanteWeary

Systems Engineer
Jan 24, 2022
US
Hello! CM 8.1.3.1 here using a mix of 9608's and 9621/41's.

My question is in regards to the softkey/button order on the phones.

So basically I don't understand the logic it uses to display stuff, especially on the main phone screen.

What I really want to do is have a couple of Team buttons show on the main page so I don't have to page over the find them, but no matter what I do, they won't show up on the lines.

But I also want to understand more why it seems like buttons/features are out of order from what I set them in Site Administrator/CM. It seems like it prioritizes certain features over others rather than just display them in the order you put them in SA.

Sorry, H.323 mainly!

And we're using Team buttons so receptionists can answer other people's calls.
I know there's bridge appearance but I feel like Team button solves the issue of having to have two lines for each bridge appearance to answer calls coming in the other's person's second line.

There are settings in the 46xx file where you can have buttons show on the main display where the call appearances are. If that's what you're asking.

There are two settings in the 46xxsettings.txt file that allows feature buttons to show on the main page:

Code:
################  PHONE SETTINGS (H.323 ONLY)  ###############
##
## PHNSCRALL specifies whether separate screens will be displayed for call appearances and features.
##  Value  Operation
##    0    Separate screens will be displayed for call appearances and features (default)
##    1    A consolidated screen will be displayed that includes call appearances and features
##  This parameter is supported by:
##       J169/J179 H.323 R6.7 and later
##       96x1 H.323 R6.0 and later
## SET PHNSCRALL 1

Code:
## FBONCASCREEN specifies whether features will be displayed on the same screen as call appearances
##  when the value of PHNSCRALL is 0.
##  Value  Operation
##    0    Features will not be displayed on the same screen as call appearances (default)
##    1    As many features as will fit will be displayed on the same screen as call appearances,
##          in addition to being displayed on a separate feature screen.
##  This parameter is supported by:
##       J169/J179 H.323 R6.7 and later
##       96x1 H.323 R6.0 and later (9608, 9608G and 9611G models only)
##       96x0 H.323 R3.0 and later (9630 and 9640 models only)
## SET FBONCASCREEN 1

Enabling those should allow the Teams button to show on the front page.

Extra bonus: Avaya recently (8.something) added the bridged-appearance "a" button that works very similar to the Nortel Multi Call Ring, so that the one button will allow you to answer any incoming call on the bridged extension, regardless of which line it came in on.

THanks guys. Both the FBONCASCREEN and the "a" for bridged-appearance are sort of game changers for me. That's why I love this place!

OK a couple more related...

1) I see appearances are still prioritized. So if I put one after a feature, it'll still show before it on the phone. Is there a way to stop that?

2) What's the idea behind the bottom keys? I still haven't figured out the method with those. What goes down there and can I determine what goes down there in what order?

Thank you so much. Even if I walk away with just this, it's more help than you know!

I don't think you can stop call-appr buttons from jumping to the top spots on the phone.

The bottom keys are used during calls to select Hold, Conference, etc. or other functions within menus on the phone.

I mean how do you set those up?

For instance, right now I have Redial, Send All, 911, and AD23

I can tell you no matter where I put "send-call" in CM, it always shows up as the second softkey on the bottom. It also shows on the Features page. Both disappear if I remove it from the configuration of the station.

So I'm trying to figure out what determines what goes down there and in what order, just like call-appr and brdg-appr seem to follow certain rules.

If you don't like the default buttons, the settings file has a lot to do with the softkeys. There are different buttons available for when the phone is in different states:

Code:
########################## Features on Softkeys #######################
##
## Idle Feature Settings
##   A list of feature identifiers for softkey features  
##   available in the Idle call state
##   0 to 255 ASCII characters: zero to six whole numbers
##   separated by commas without any intervening spaces
## SET IDLEFEATURES ""
##
## Dial Feature Settings
##   available in the Dialing call state
##   0 to 255 ASCII characters :zero to five whole numbers separated
##   by commas without any intervening spaces
## SET DIALFEATURES ""
##
## Ring Back Feature Settings
##   available in the Active with far end ringback call state
##   0 to 255 ASCII characters :zero to three whole numbers
## SET RINGBKFEATURES ""
##
## Talk Feature Settings
##   available in the Active with talk path call state
##   0 to 255 ASCII characters :zero to three whole numbers
## SET TALKFEATURES ""

The problem is, you have to know what the different codes are for the various features. Check out for the list of codes.
Example: You want the Directory, Next, and Call-Disp buttons available. Look those up in the table:
26 = Directory
13 = Next
16 = Call-Disp

Make the Idle Features line:
SET IDLEFEATURES "26,13,16,0"

set the 4th button to whatever other code you would like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back