Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Would like to purchase a small gaming server. Need Advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pianoman993

Technical User
Oct 27, 2008
US
Hello, I am a gamer who would like purchase a powerfull yet inexpensive gaming server.

I apologize for not knowing server terminology but would it also be possible for the servers not to host dedicated games?

And advice and prices ranges would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!

How long is a piece of string? :)

Without knowing what game you intend to serve, how many instances of it, how many players, etc. it's difficult to say.

Generally a game server doesn't need to be as powerful as the clients because it doesn't have to do all the graphics processing, just track player positions and do lots of network communication... unless of course you're planning to host large numbers of games or players.

Annihilannic.

Thank you everyone for all your input. The name of the game I would like to host is named Counter-strike 1.6. It was created in 1990 (so as you can tell, it is not too demanding).

I would not like to spend too much money if at all possible. My ideal price range is around $500 and under. Also, an ideal server would be able to host multiple games at the same time delivering high FPS (if this term does not make sense don't worry), low latency and fast game-play.

Thank you,

Mark

I would guesstimate (and take this with a pinch of salt since I haven't set any up) that pretty much any second-hand desktop PC (say 2-3 years old) would comfortably handle 4 or possibly more CS1.6 games concurrently. FPS is not an issue as that is controlled entirely by the gamer's PC (and that is where the largest proportion of CPU power is consumed). Latency depends more on the network connectivity you have to your server/ISP than the server itself.

Otherwise, if you really really want a server-like system (i.e. rack mounted, with remote management capabilities, etc.) then the lower-end ones listed on the page mentioned by TheLad above would be more than adequate, in my opinion.

Of course you may want to consider hosting other more resource-hungry games in the future which would affect your decision...

Annihilannic.

I rather fancied playing some old skool CS but I just checked and unfortunately I sold my copy. [neutral]

Annihilannic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back