Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Would like to learn design techinque

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSchumacher

Technical User
Jun 17, 2001
US
I have been working with Access for 2 years. I started with simple querys and macros and I now write most everything in code. I have very little programming training. I have designed 3 databases for my department in the last 6 months and they all work functionally.

However, I know they could be SO MUCH better. When I look at the first one compared with the 3rd, I have to laugh at what I did. I'm sure in a year from now I'll be laughing at what I'm doing now too.

What I would like is some ideas/guidance/hints on what resources are available that would give me a solid foundation in database creation from start to finish - books, websites, classes, whatever. I love programming and would like to develop my skills.

Thanks for any ideas,

Judie

Welcome to the club!
For developing/Programming Access, I highly recommend the Access 2000 Developer's Handbook 2 Volume Set by Paul Litwin, Ken Getz, & Mike Gilbert. Lots of good info in there. (There are also versions for Access 97 & 2002)
And bookmark the tek-tips site, too! There are many smart folks here to lend a hand :)

Thanks MisterC. I actually ordered that book yesterday. Other posts I've read gave it high marks. It's good to have feedback affirming my purchase. Will it help me learn how to design a database properly?

Yes, definitely. I think you will be pleased with your purchase. Good luck to you!

Model the data before you start designing the DB. Iterate thru your data and its relationships.Draw entity relationship diagrams, model it in UML. Think think think and then type it into the DB software. Most of us start coding too soon.

I designed my first database in 1974, and have learnt the hard way. If you get the DB design wrong - then you pay for it many times over later.

Judie, as you, I attended the University of HardKnocks for my programming degree. This technique works best for me. I create the forms before I create the tables. The forms contain unbound fields appropriately named as they will appear in the tables. In the form load event, I place test data in the unbound fields which I use to write and test the code. When the forms are working, the tables write themselves!

mac

JSchumacher, here are a few tips that I do
1. When you are out and about have a look at programs that users use, have a look at the interface and use some of the ideas you come across.
2. Spend time with the person that is going to use it, to often high corporate staff order and give instuctions on what they want the program to do, the big problem with this is that in 99% of cases they never use the program, some poor sap sitting down on level1 has to use it, and by the time you finish it and the corporate staff are happy the poor staff member that has to use it has nothing but headaches as it makes there job twice as long and before long you will be back out there rewritting the software. So spend time with the user and ignore the person that wants the software. You will find that the more user friendly the software is the happier the user. One important lesson in programming spend time to make the program as easy as possible for the user even if it means spending longer or writting code. When it comes to looking back on what you designed last year vesa vea what you designed this year there is always going to be a big diffrence in your programming, new ideas and new concepts are comming about every minute of the day.

Good luck, I hope you do well, as for references I could add no other than this site, just have a look at some of the other forums ie "Visual Basic 5&6" you may get some great VB code from there and when someone is offering a MDB file get your hand on it and see what you can do with it.

Zero Anarchy :)

Thanks for the ideas everyone. Zero - you mentioned going to the Visual Basic forum. What are the differences and similarities between that and VBA that I should be aware of?

If you have a look in the code window of any form you will notice that it is all written in VB or SQL, using this forum will give you some good if not invalueable idea behind writting code, in my experience I have found that Access VB is a bit easier to use than actual VB. So why use te VB forum, most of what can be written in VB is applicable in access VB so you will mostly likely find some interesting ways of solving problems if not get a more indepth view of VB coding.Down sides in some cases you will have to use outside references to run code, this can become a little bit of a problem if the machine you are writting the code for does not have the refering DLL files. THe other more important issue is that actual VB does not use commands like Docmd or Me! / Me. so being aware of this may save you a bit of time when wondering where error's have occured. All in all you will also learn a bit about refrences and how to manipuate them.

Hope this helps

Zero Anarchy

Judie, (See my post to your other question-I've been MIA from Tek-Tips since 01-15-02 due to my computers going out!).
Databases and computers are a new 'career' for me and have nothing to do with my college degrees. I'm still a member of 'teach yourself' university. Suggestions:

BOOKS:
1. "Database Design for Mere Mortals" by Michael J. Hernandez. Addison-Wesley Pub Co; ISBN: 0201694719 Theoretical yet concrete.
2. "Access Database Design & Programming (Nutshell Handbook)" by Steven Roman. O'Reilly & Associates; ISBN: 1565926269. Technical and Programming
3. " Designing Relational Database Systems " by Rebecca Riordan. Microsoft Press; ISBN: 073560634X. In depth.

WEB:
ElementK has courses, publications. Poke around long enough and you'll find some workbook type manuals that are simple to complex. I think you can buy ElementK courses through zdnet or SmartPlanet.

Do a web search on Relational Database Design.

I consider Tek-Tips one of my daily learning experiences! HTH, Montrose

Learn what you can and share what you know.

Montrose,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check them out. I've already purchased VBA/Access 97 Developer's Handbook set. I've only had a chance to read a few pages so far (Chapter 4 - database design). I like the way it's written and it's been very helpful. I only have a couple thousand pages to go!

You're absolutely on the right track with the set of books you bought. After borrowing these two books for the last year from a co-worker, I just ordered my own copies today. They just don't compare to any others! Good luck!

Unpaid testimonial.

When designing a new application, I use treepad.exe (a freeware / shareware program available for download at ) to model the entire structure before ever creating a table/query/form/report or writing any code.

Treepad allows me to instantly create multi-level treeviews and has been vastly helpful in envisioning structure, lookups, etc..

After using the freeware version for a few months, switched to the shareware (about $28 USD) version, which has proven well worth the small price. Suggest anyone developing applications give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back