Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

would like help resolving dependencies, RRDTool on Centos 4 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaylaNahar

Programmer
Oct 25, 2006
US
Hi

I have tried to install RRDTools on my Centos 4.5 system using the *.rpm files from the Centos/Red Hat link on this page
I get dependency problems as shown below. I ran yum update perl the other day and got the message that there were no updates to install. Is there some way I can get the specific dependencies listed below on to my system?

thanks very much

LN

rpm -i rrdtool-1.4.4-1.fc12.wrl.i386.rpmerror: Failed dependencies:
libxml2.so.2(LIBXML2_2.4.30) is needed by rrdtool-1.4.4-1.wrl.i386
libxml2.so.2(LIBXML2_2.6.17) is needed by rrdtool-1.4.4-1.wrl.i386
perl >= 4:5.10.0 is needed by rrdtool-1.4.4-1.wrl.i386
perl(RRDp) is needed by rrdtool-1.4.4-1.wrl.i386
perl(RRDs) is needed by rrdtool-1.4.4-1.wrl.i386

The fc12 RPM is not a good match for CentOS 4, which is a rebadged clone of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 (RHEL4). Try the el4 RPM instead... I realise it is only available from that site for rrdtool 1.2.30, but do you really need the latest and greatest version?

Keep in mind that RHEL4 (and therefore CentOS 4) is getting a bit long in the tooth now so you'll probably run into dependency problems more and more. Consider updating to CentOS 5... or if you wait a short while CentOS 6 should be available soon when RHEL6 has stabilised.

If you are happy to go with rrdtool 1.2.30, you will need:

ftp://194.199.20.114/linux/redhat/enterprise/4/en/os/i386/SRPMS/perl-Time-HiRes-1.55-3.src.rpm

Steps to install are:

Code:
# install the perl Time::HiRes module source RPM (I couldn't find a binary RPM)
sudo rpm -ivh perl-Time-HiRes-1.55-3.src.rpm
# build a binary RPM from that source
sudo rpmbuild -ba /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/perl-Time-HiRes.spec
# install the binary RPM
sudo rpm -ivh /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/perl-Time-HiRes-1.55-3.i386.rpm
# install the rrdtool RPMs
sudo rpm -ivh rrdtool-1.2.30-1.el4.wrl.i386.rpm rrdtool-perl-1.2.30-1.el4.wrl.i386.rpm

Annihilannic.

Wow Annihilannic, thank you for this generous and useful response. It was very helpful to learn that my OS is old and thus leading to dependency issues.

thanks again!

LN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back