Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Worried about identity theft - protecting files

Status
Not open for further replies.

JICDB

Technical User
Apr 7, 2004
US
I taught my Mom how to use the computer and specifically Excel this last weekend. She is paranoid by the thought of identity theft. (I think it's a real threat but she doen't have internet service so I'm not sure how real the threat is to her computer.) She had me add a password for herself and her husband to "protect" her files. But on the desktop it allows you to create a new user and get to any of the files on the C drive - not much protection. Excel will let you protect the file with a password to stop and changes but not to view. Is there a way to password protect an Excel file from being opened at all? Thanks for your help.

There isn't much protection that a Windows or Excel password will do for you other then keep the novice out. Since it is not connected to the internet, the only thing you need to worry about is if someone accessed the PC inhouse (here a password will help since it would take longer to access the data), or if it was stolen. If it is connected to the internet, then folder policy and firewall are recommended.

[Blue]Blue[/Blue] [Dragon]

If I wasn't Blue, I would just be a Dragon...

Could you teach her to zip the file, password protect the zip file and delete the original? Assuming of course she'd have to do this every time she made updates to the file. It's not perfect, but it may give her that extra level of comfort.

My 2 cents... tell her that her not to worry about it. If she's not connected to the internet then nobody from the outside will ever get to her PC. If someone does break into her home, chances are very good that they're not after any data on her computer. Having her encrypt and unencrypt files is undaunting to novice users and, IMHO, totally unnecessary.

Now, if she ever does get on the 'net, then all she (or you) needs to do is follow common sense. Set up a good firewall; use a reputable ISP; don't store social security numbers on the PC. If she's shops online, again, follow common sense rules - DO NOT email credit card info to ANYONE!!!; same goes for SSN's. Shop with reputable companies who publish their return policies. Email is about the least secure form of sending data across the internet.

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

Thanks to all who weighed in. I appreciate the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back