Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Workstations Can't get online

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCrou82

Programmer
Aug 23, 2002
US
I have a win98-2k network set up. We have currently moved location and have been given new IP addresses. I have changed the IP address information on the server's Network Properties, DHCP and DNS. My user's can now access the server, the network and have gotten the new IP addresses from DHCP. My problem is that they can't get online. I've checked the firewall, the router and my ISP and I Have an internet connection since I can browse the web using two servers that don't have DHCP. I've had "Split-Brain DNS" set up on this server. It worked fine with my other IP addresses.

My question is, why can't my workstations get online?

Thanks

Try doing a tracert to a public web site like google and see where the problem is (DNS, gateway, etc...).

Paul

Are the workstations being assigned the correct gateway setting from the DHCP server? You can try pointing to an external DNS for the workstation to see if they would be able to access the internet.

Verify the effective network settings on one of the workstations that receives a DHCP lease. DHCP may be giving out a correct IP, but the scope options may not exist or may be incorrect. You must define your gateway (router), DNS and other addresses in the DHCP scope options.

Thanks to all for your posts,

To close out this post, I will give a rundown of the conclusion.

First after alot of running around, I realized that the problem lied in what peterpark and nategreer mentioned regarding settings. I inadvertently had the wrong IP address for my gateway. instead of 222.65 i had 255.65 in the dhcp scope options, so this fixed my online issue.

Second after a little (translated as ALOT) of troubleshooting, I found out that the hub we were using was pretty much garbage and so the reason for my workstations not getting any DHCP settings from the server, was that the hub wasn't passing along the connection or doing it at a very slow rate.

Also a little tip. If ipconfig /release_all doesn't release a micro$oft given ip address, then set the workstation to a static ip address, reboot and then reset the workstation to obtain an ip address automatically. This of course will only work if you don't make the mechanical and trusting mistakes I've made ie. fat fingered gateway address and hub.

Thanks and I hope this helps someone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back