Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Workstation continually loses contact with the server

Status
Not open for further replies.

JIsom

IS-IT--Management
Jan 25, 2007
US
Workstation loses contact with the server every time it's rebooted or even when another user logs on. I can remove it from the domain and re-add it back and it works fine until one of the events mentioned above occurs. Even when it's lost contact with the domain I can still ping the server and can ping the workstation from the server.

The message states that a security violation occurs when the same user logs on under two different user names. This is confusing because only one user is logged on at a time.

Windows 2003 Server, Windows XP workstation. Ten other workstations on the domain, no problems.

What message? Event logs? If it's an event log message, what's the message ID and source for the message?

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

I'm sorry. I should have included the error messages. I do know better.

There are no error messages on the server (application, security, or system).

On the workstation when I reboot and lose domain connection this message:

Application error: Source: userenv ID 1054
User NT Authority/System
Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network. (An invalid argument was supplied). Group policy processing aborted.

When I remove the workstation from the domain and readd it to the domain and then reboot I get this application error:

Source: userenv ID 1053 User: NT Authority/system

Windows cannot determine the user or the computer name. (An invalid argument was supplied). Group policy processing aborted.

This message is when I successfully connect to the domain.

If I reboot, I lose connection and get the first message.

Thanks to all who have replied. Again, my apologies for wasting your time for not including all the information.

Can you take a look at a possible network issue as you are experiencing this issue when rebooting. You may want to update your network drivers, try another NIC, resetting the IP stack, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back