Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Workstation cannot "talk" to server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newtonm

Programmer
Nov 8, 2001
CA
We have a small LAN in retail store in Quebec. Server is running XP Professional, workstations all running XP Home. Application is FPW2.6 and has been running perfectly elsewhere for many years.

Problem, the Quebec installation has Server and two Workstations running XP English, third workstation has French version of windows XP and refuses to allow application to run across the network. The error is the dreaded "Disk Full or you are attempting to write to a read only disk" We have thoroughly checked network set up and all files and everything is in order.

Question: Is there a problem with a French Windows XP on a workstation communicating with an English XP Server??

Richard Myers
Newton Myers Consultants

My best guess has more to do with the XP Home

XP Home is not designed for business application and as such Microsoft has turned of some functions that business applications really want. Mainly along the lines of pass through authentication and Domain membership.

My suspision is the workstation with the issue is permission based. try copying files to and from the (XP "server") share where the files are based and see if you are getting file write issue outside of your application.

Any time I trouble shoot a file problem and discover that XP Home is involved my first process is to look at how permissions are involved.

Steve Bowman
Independent Technology, Inc.
CA, USA

nope, MS making business pay for business functions creating a disabled OEM OS for the masses

Steve Bowman
CA, USA

Steve, I think your quite correct on this. We have issues related to table locking with a VFP 7 APP on XP Home and have had to put a work around in our code if XP home is used. Part of the problem appears to be permissions and XP Home simply does'nt have the tools to validate read/write rights.

Bob Palmer
The most common solution is H2O!

Sorry Guys but none of your answers help at all since we already have 2 other workstations with XP home and the same app and server and they all work perfectly. The only difference is that the stubborn computer has XP home FRENCH ie it is in the FRENCH language. We wonder if reformatting and changing to ENGLISH XP will solve the problem? Any ideas ???

Richard

Could there be a fault in the network card or cable on the 'French' PC?

Roger

When I refer to the famous CD-ROM problem, I am referring to the mapping of drves. For example, your program may refer to a drive letter, which is fine on your well behaved machine i.e. it is a standard writeable hard disk. However your French pc may have a completely different drive mapping. Check it out,.

If I have ever learned any in my years writting code that is "Never rule out anything just because it WORKS somewhere else" I can not see where the issue would be caused by different language OS. Not that it could not be that it would be lower on my list.

Steve Bowman
CA, USA

As I recall, there is a limit of how many XP Home computers can coexist on a network. A few can, but not more than 5.

thread779-1101674

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back