Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

workstatioin cannot install software after joining the domain 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 21, 2004
US
I just made a workstation running Windows XP Pro join the Windows 2003 domain and gave the user administrator privileges in the domain. However, after the user logs onto the domain from this new workstation, we found she is unable to install any software. I can install the software when I run as a different administrator account. How can I let the user install software when she logs onto the domain?
Please help.

Did you add her domain account to the local administrator group on her local PC? You need to do this to install software on her local PC

I did.
I also put her account in the domain admin group. But she stil cannot use her account to install software...:(

Go into AD and look at her account and check the members tab and be sure she is a domain admin. By Default, when you join a machine to the domain, the domain admins group is now a local administrator on that box. Verify the logon name as well to be sure that she is using the account that you are tinkering with. If all is in line, there is no reason she shouldn’t be able to install software. See ya!

"Experince That Counts

If you go into control panel > user accounts

Make sure that the user is entered into there and given admin privelidges.

I had a similar issue the other day when adding a new user to the domain and this rectified it immediately.

Thank you. My issue is fixed. However, I don't want james account to be in the domain admin group forever.
Is there a way that I can let my network users be able to install software without being part of the domain admin group?
Do I have to change the default policy somewhere in the domain controller?

You can put your users into Domain user group and just have them as admins on thier local machine user profiles.

Goner05

I take off the user account from the domain admin group. However, he cannot install the software when he logs onto domain at his workstation. He must always logs off the domain and log on locally at the local computer to install the software.
Is there anything I did not do here?

In the control panel, under the user accounts - have you added him as a user, entered the domain name and then set the privelidges to Admin? This will only give admin rights on the local machine and should solve your problem

The solution is very simple. Logon to the PC with the administrator account, then right click on my computer and click manage. Then Click Locl Users and Groups, then Groups. You will see the Administrators Group. Add your users Domain account to the Administrators group. To be sure that you are adding the users Domain account and not a local account, use the domain\username format to enter it. Done! Good Luck!

"Experince That Counts

That is essentially the same as the solution I suggested is it not?

Yes, the end result will be the same, but this way the OP has two methods to achieve their result and may find one easier than the other.

We're talking about Windows here afterall, and we all know there are a thousand different ways to skin this cat.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Very good point!

Sorry I was not trying to be rude, just wondering if what I had suggested wasn't the best way to do it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back