Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Worksheets in Word?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trueharted

Programmer
Feb 12, 2002
US
Okay, so I have a fellow employee who wants to know how to get "tabs like they have in Excel" in Word because he has a 27 page document broken up into sections that he wants to quickly and easily be able to see and pick which sections to deal with or print. Not all the sections apply to everybody who uses the document. This document gets filled out for each client we deal with and saved as that client's name. I told him Word doesn't work like Excel, in that respect, and I don't recommend he put it into Excel. He's not open to using Access at this point. I suggested using Office Binder and breaking his document up into a Master Document and Sub Documents. Does anyone have any other/better suggestions I might pass on to him?

Thanks for your ideas!

Hi Gricks

I think the best you can do is get the user to use a Heading style for the first line (client name, for choice) of each entry. Set this style to have 'Page break before'. Then create a table of contents at the head of the document, based on that Heading style. The page numbers then act as hyperlinks to the appropriate page, and so long as the entries don't usually go above one page in length, the user can use Print Current Page to print out that entry.

.... best I can come up with. HTH

Regards

Ben

You could possibly use an Index to allow fast browsing to the specific page. (See Below)

Table of contents:
Table of Contents organizes the main headings in your document and places them in a table at the beginning of your document so that readers may refer to a desired section. When you paginate your document, the appropriate page number will appear after the heading in Table of Contents. To make one, do the following:

First select a heading number for each of the main headings. Mark headings as Heading 1 (or 2 or 3, depending on the hierarchy) once you set the font for them.

Headings can be marked by clicking on the headings box in the left side of the toolbar.

Go to Insert, and click on Index and Table. Word structures the index where the cursor is.

I think "Insert / Object / Microsoft Word Document" should work. Can you try it?

If he's using heading styles, why not get him to display the document in Outline view? Either select View, Outline, or click on the tiny button in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen that looks like indented lines (should be 4th button from the left).

An additional toolbar will appear. Selecting 1, 2 or 3 will display only heading for that level. For example, selecting 1 will show only headings using the Heading 1 style.

You can use this both as a means of moving around in a large document, or moving large sections of text - select the headings only and use the up and down arrows on the Outlining toolbar to move that heading and all associated text.

Once you have moved to a new location, return to Normal or Page view. [ponytails]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back