Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

working with the latest and greatest technology?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 3, 2001
US
Is working with the "latest and greatest" technology really such a big deal on a resume? Here's my situation:

I just left a job (I'll call it job#1)in which I was, for all intents and purposes, the Network Admin for a small-ish company (~40 servers, 250 users).. I did all the server and network admin, plus helpdesk - basically I was a jack-of-all-trades. However, that company is run by a handful of psychopathic idiots who are basically screwing the whole company over.

I recently left that position to work at job #2 - a tiny (10 servers, ~25 emp) office MUCH closer to home, but is about 3 years behind 'technology wise'...

at Job#1 I was doing a lot of big project work in addition to the daily tasks; I had implemented new virtualization technologies, new network equipment, redesigned Active Directory and built cluster servers, yadda yadda yadda. I loved that job, but the company leadership totally sucked.

at Job#2 there's not so much of that, it's such a tiny office that every decision is boiled down to $$... we're just now moving to Exchange 2003.

so my question is (finally!!) - I have a chance to go back to job#1 - same pay, same benefits, etc. In a couple of years, is it going to look "bad" on my resume to have left a very technologically 'modern' compnay to go to a technologically "behind" company?? I don't want it to look like I took a step "backwards" in my career.

Hmmmm, been in a simlar situation before, maybe put this down to "misjidgement in opportunities" and use this as a learning curve not to jump in the future (Like I have dont before). If you have only gone for a month or two you can put it down to a period of absence, or even ask the company to reference you as a full employee, slightly more difficult after 6 months.

2 yrs from now, just say it didnt work out, tho dont forget you left them for a reason...

===

Fatman Superstar (Andrew James)

CCNA

To answer your question, no. Many companies (that I've experienced) rarely have the latest and greatest technologies.

Also I think it looks better to have non-modern technology only because sometimes the older stuff applies the logical understanding of technology and makes your resume look a little better since you're demonstrating that you're more than "I just took a test and got certified".

However, that company is run by a handful of psychopathic idiots who are basically screwing the whole company over.

My only question is, WHY would think about going back to this company?

I know, I know, and that's what I keep telling myself, that it's not worth the headaches and stress and bullsh*t to go back. But still there's that little part of me that misses the fast-paced, big-project type environment. So far this morning, I've done nothing interesting, basically just surfed the web all morning.

I'm still working with a couple of recruiters to find something new; I despise the thought of job-hopping, but I gotta do what's right for "me" too, I don't want to be bored out of my mind at work. I crave challenge and opportunities to expand my knowledge, I just don't think I'm going to get that here.

Ponder this one. The reasons (and people) you left in the first place still linger about...

If given a choice between the older technology and horrible leadership, I'd take the older technology. UNLESS you feel you will garner incredible experience at this job.

I quit my last job when my employer failed to make payroll. He claimed he had cash-flow problems. I had to sue the son-of-a-bi gentleman for back wages.

Have you ever heard the expression, "Last one out the door, please turn off the lights?" In my second-to-last job, I was that son of a gun who had to turn off the lights. Due to gross mismanagement, my company was hemorrhaging money and selling off pieces to save core operations.

If you think you'll get experience valuable (or perhaps more correctly, salable) in the future, take the job. But make damned sure you have a nest egg that will hold you over for at least a month, a quick exit strategy, and other job possibilities lined up.

When employers start playing games with companies, it's impossible to say how quickly the companies will implode once the house of cards starts to fall.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions! TANSTAAFL!

In my experience, not having the latest technology on your resume can be a sizable problem when seeking employment. However, from what you describe, it does not seem that going back to your previous employer would be worth the experience you would gain.

You can always keep up with current technology during slow periods or on personal time.

Finally, you could always consider door #3. Find a company using more current technology that won't make you miserable and won't leave your future so much in doubt.

thanks for all the great replies. I seem to be pretty much on the same page as everybody else. I've decided NOT to accept Job#1's offer, from what I hear it's even worse that it was when I left. So I'm going to just hang out here, but I'm keeping my eyes & ears open for any new opportunities, got a couple of good prospects so far.

thanks again.

Dude, you are making the right choice... personally and karmically... you can do some other things in the meantime, and it ain't so bad -

1.) educate yourself in your spare time and be grateful for the opportunity to do so in your much NICER environment

2.) find another job with the opportunity you seek

3.) see "The Pursuit of Happyness"

but it seems like you figured it out - good luck

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back