Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Working with SharePoint 2010 locally 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AAMADOR

Programmer
Dec 12, 2011
US
I am new to SharePoint of any version.

But I have been tasked to create a external SharePoint site for electronic submittals.

I do not have SharePoint 2010 installed on my local machine. I have read about registry hacks and used it so my Visual Studio 2010 can now create SharePoint projects. However, now I am unable to deploy a simple web part. The error I get is

"A SharePoint server is not installed on this computer. A SharePoint server must be installed to work with SharePoint projects."

Outside of installing Visual Studio 2010 on the Sharepoint 2010 server and me remoting into it, is there anything that can be done so I can do Sharepoint projects on my local machine?

You can install SharePoint on a Windows 7 machine.

Info:

What I do is, setup a virtual machine (VM), then install SharePoint and Visual Studio on the VM.

VMware Player is free and allows for easy setup of virtual machines:

By using the VM, you can get it all setup, than backup the VM. This way, if you break the VM, you can just create a enw one from the backup....

Let me know if you have any questions.

@ehaze - would it be possible then to move the work I do locally to a production server?

Thanks for the information. This helps a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back