Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Working with Proof Colors... Need some guidance please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyperlord

Technical User
Jun 18, 2002
US
Hiya -
Lots of times I get RGB scans of photos, etc that I need to make into ads suitable for CMYK printing.

I do as much editing as possible in RGB if the image came to me in RGB. I turn on CMYK proof colors as well.

I'm confused about converting to CMYK. Many people tell me not to convert as it flattens the image and discards some of the adjutment layers I create when colo,/image-correcting in RGB. So, I've been taught that if you have proof colors clicked on - you're ok to save the file without actually converting the colors.

My concern is that when I place these manipulated images in AI or similar - then send to the printer - I get warnings that some elements of the piece are still in RGB. Even though I have the AI document in CMYK.

What is safe!?! I love the quality of work I can do to an image if it's in its original color mode with CMYK proof colors turned on. Is this wrong? Do I need to convert to CMYK first and lose all those cool things you can do in RGB?

Thanks and sorry for the long-winded rant :)

Nate Knowledge enormous makes a God of me.

Personally, the way I work is if the final output has to be in CMYK, then I create, edit etc in CMYK. That way there is no surprise when I flatten all the layers and save the final output format.

Thanks for the reply. That is how I used to work too. But I've heard that you can just click proof colors on under the view menu (PS 7.0, btw) and set to CMYK. Sounds too good to be true... In the meantime, I'll continue converting to CMYK then making adjustments to be safe. Knowledge enormous makes a God of me.

Converting to CMYK does not mean you need to flatten.

You are given more control over RGB images. I prefer to work primarily in RGB and save a copy in CMYK for printing. The only time that I work entirely in CMYK is when I need to manage colors perfectly for print (for color matching other elements in a page design).

Most things that you convert from RGB to CMYK are not noticeable by the masses... just color geeks.

When you have CMYK proof colors turned on, the image is still technically RGB. The idea behind this function is to allow you to work in RGB, but with the advantage of seeing how it will look in CMYK so you don't get any nasty suprises when you do convert.

More than likely, you will need to convert to CMYK before you go to print. You should do this on a flattened copy of the image, as some layer effects work differently in the various color modes. However, always keep the original file safe, just in case you need to make changes.

Got it - you guys are really helping me out here :)

I have noticed that some adjustment layers are discarded when flattening to go to CMYK. Actually when I convert to CMYK, the image is flattened anyway, I can't get around that. The layer I lose is the Curves Adjustment layer and i wind up losing some contrast.

Thanks for all the help! Knowledge enormous makes a God of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back