Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Working with MPEG 2 files

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosy

Technical User
Sep 2, 2005
AU
Background info. I have a DELL INSPIRON 9300 notebook

I apologise if this has already been answered. I have captured quite alot of footage from VHS (Pal) via Avermedia (USB) Hardware to my notebook and it automatically stores it as MPEG 2.

Should I have to find another capture device (One that stores it as AVI) beacuse I know it is hard to work and edit MPEG 2 files in ADobe Premier Pro?

Thank you

Ideally you should capture as DV AVI files at full frame, since this is the native format for Premiere Pro.

If you already have MPEG2 on the computer, there are utilities to convert this to AVI, or you could add the MainConcept MPEG plug-in to allow Premiere Pro to handle MPEG on the timeline.

All format conversions result in some loss, so the cleanest video pictures will probably come from capturing in DV in the first place if your target is tape. On the other hand, if you target output is MPEG (eg to DVD), then the MainConcept option is probably the most appropriate.

Thanks For that Akribie,

I think I will have to purchase a new capturing device and try to capture the Video footage as AVI.

I think Pinnacle Studio movie box deluxe can do this.

Cheers

If you have a digital video camera capable of handling DV in and out, it is possible that it will do a format conversion to/from analogue for you and thus let you capture from your VHS tapes into a FireWire port.

Sony calls this 'passthrough'.

If your PAL camera is DV out only, this will not be possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back