Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Working with an Access database of linked tables in CR

Status
Not open for further replies.

NNIsarahd

Programmer
Aug 13, 2003
US
I have an Access database (Access 2000) that contains nothing but linked tables. I want to report on the data, but I cannot create an ODBC DSN for the database that this one links to. I've been able to create a DSN for this database of linked tables.

When I connect to it in CR Report Designer, it tells me that there are no fields to select.

Are there any issues with CR and Access linked tables? Has anyone been able to work with this in the past? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

I had this problem with Access 97.

I assume that you can use the linked tables in the linked Access database when you are using Access itself. If not then you have a different problem

What worked for me was to create an Access query in the 'linked' database that read the linked table. Crystal couldn't see the table but it could see the query. This works providing that there are no user-defined functions (ie functions in modules within the Access database)used in the view.

Hope this helps

Jim

Yeah, I can work with the tables fine in Access. I have to do a report though on data from the Access against some of our tables in our SQL server, and that's where I ran into the problem.

I ended up contacting the company that does the main program from the Access database, and they walked me through configuring a DSN for the database that was linked to.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back