Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Working with 2 network cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeDam

IS-IT--Management
Oct 10, 2001
BE
I'm trying to setup a networker server. This server have two network card. One host name is set for this server, CN100. CN100 have 2 IP address, 10.1.2.3 and 10.1.2.4.
The backup work on the default IP 10.1.2.3 but not on 10.1.2.4! How can i tell nsrexecd that 10.1.2.4 is a valid ip address.
I fact, when connection is made with the server, client and server verify their ip's. Client have 10.1.2.4 and server, the default, 10.1.2.3, so the connection is refused!

The usual approach of networker is to check the host names and resolve them via DNS. If you tell your client that it has to use the IP 10.1.2.4 and it connects to the networker it tries to resolve the IP to a name and then back for what reason I don't know.
So the first resolv gets: 10.1.2.4 -> CN100
The next resolv gets: CN100 -> 10.1.2.3 which does not match the given IP. So Networker refuses to work.

What are you trying to do?
If you want to use one IP as "public" and the other as "backup" LAN you surely have to have two names for the server. (at least this is what we did on solaris) Gigabit for "backup" and FastEthernet for "public"
In the client you have to define the name of the storage node in the backup network.

EG:
public: CN100 10.1.2.3
backup: CN100b 10.1.2.4

client is set up as usual, but you have to supply the aliases with the name of the client in the backup network.

If it sound confusing ask for more info ;-)

Johanes

I'm trying to do :
ONE host name (CN100) as public
TWO IP for backuping (10.1.2.3 and 10.1.2.4)
Some client backup with 10.1.2.3 and the other on 10.1.2.4

the best you could do is team the 2 NICs. you have to request from your network team to configure the 2 port used by the 2 NICS in etherchannel. this will give you redundancy, fault-tolerance, load-balancing capability. with this, you only have to use single IP since the teaming will create you a virtual NIC and you only have to assign 1 IP for it.

hope this helps.

Why not putting the backup IP adress or name in the server netwotk interface field on the client config in NWadmin?
It will work for both backup and restores from 6.x.

cptb: that surely works (we are doing it)
LeDam: what are you trying to do? Do you want to increase Network performance with two NICs or is it for fault tolerance.
If it is for fault tolerance try what spaixpert suggested, if you want more performance use another OS. The windows IP stack is not the best and tops off at about 6Megs per second.
We are using two Sun E4500 which get a peak transfer of about 70 Megs/sec. Theoretically more would be possible, but nsrmmd uses so much CPU on the machine.
Right now we are setting up a Networker on a HP SuperDome. maybe I will post some stats...

Johanes

I try to increase network performance!

From the following quote:

" We are using two Sun E4500 which get a peak transfer of about 70 Megs/sec. Theoretically more would be possible, but nsrmmd uses so much CPU on the machine."
from
jkalbus (TechnicalUser) Feb 15, 2002

How was this limit determined??? Are you saying added a second gigabit card to an E450 will have no positive impact on backup throughput? We are seeing netstat errors on an E450 with 4 gig of memory for 4 400mhz processos when a new group of backups start and incoming packets are over 40,000 in 5 seconds? We were going to team the gigabit cards, but apparently that can't be done with Solaris 2.8. We are now considering an added IP with a different name?

Thanks for any comments you have jkalbus or for that matter anyone else??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back