Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Working out the next Saturday date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taslin

Programmer
Sep 3, 2002
GB
Hey people!

I have a small problem in Excel. In column A I have normal day to day dates but in column B I want to display the next Saturday that appears on or after the date in column A. For example starting with 25/01/03 (Saturday)

Col A Col B
-------- --------
25/01/03 25/01/03
26/01/03 01/02/03
27/01/03 01/02/03
28/01/03 01/02/03

and so on and so ...

Thanks in advance for any help or tips!

While not an Excel expert, I solved this as such:

In column A, I placed some random dates.
In column B, I placed =Weekday(A#) ' # being the number of the row
In column C, I placed =IF(B#<>7,A#+7-B#,A#)

The I hid column B

I got the desired results every time...

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
and I'm not sure about the former. (Albert Einstein)

Robert L. Johnson III
MCSA, CNA, MCP, Network+, A+
w: robert.l.johnson.iii@citigroup.com
h: wildmage@tampabay.rr.com

Hi Taslin,

If your date is in A1, then in B1 put =FLOOR(A1+6,7) and format the cell as a date. Just copy the formula down column B as far as your dates in column A go.

Enjoy,
Tony

Cheers Robert! Works a treat!

Taslin

Perhaps I should explain. Days are held as numbers such that Saturday dates are divisible by 7. FLOOR rounds down to the nearest multiple of its second argument (in this case 7) thus returning the date number of the previous Saturday. Finding the Saturday on or before 6 days after a date is the same as finding the next one after a date.

As I write this I realise that =CEILING(A1) is much better. See Help if you can't guess from my description of FLOOr what this might do.

Enjoy,
Tony

Good job Tony, I came up with something a bit longer but it worked... I always forget about floor and ceiling...
=(7-TEXT(WEEKDAY(A1),0)*1)+A1

Wray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back