Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Working on CCNA and Need to set up IOS for the first time 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonathanBKNY

Technical User
Apr 28, 2008
Hello everyone.

My name is Jonathan and I am currently working on getting my CCNA. I recently purchased a decent sized lab off of ebay. Everything works so far so that is good and I was able to get in and reset the passwords and a few little other things. The problem that I am having is setting up the interfaces.

I am consoled in and I would like to be able to hit the tftp server that is on the same workstation that I am consoled in from. Im not sure which interface I need to configure so I basically gave all the interfaces ip's in the 192.168.1.x range with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 but I was unable to ping anything?

I know that all of this must make me sound really dumb , but I am really trying here...

Thanks in advance for any info that you can provide.

Do the "no shut" command on the interfaces, and if you're going straight from the router to the pc (no switch), then you need a crossover cable. Post what you have so far.

Burt

Your PC is in the same subnet as the interfaces on the router correct?

You might want to look for a lab book to work with. The books for the test cover the topics but you can also find a book full of labs that walk you through every step of the process.

I used a net-sim that had a ton of labs that built up from the absolute basics to the higher end topics of the CCNA.

Gb0mb

........99.9% User Error........
Ubuntu -- African for I can't install Gentoo

gb0mb

Thanks for the post. I am currently working with a few books. Most recently I am using the CISCO PRESS book ICND1. But if you have any suggestions for lab books or net sims let me know. I really appreciate the support. Thanks everyone.

Jonathan

Jonathan Did you resolve your issue?

Is your console PC connected to the network? if so, is it on the same subnet a ou router interfaces? did you already do the no shut command on your ethernet interface?
Do a show ip interface brief on the router and see what output you get up up, up down, administratively down... That will probably help you troubleshoot your issue.

JonathanBKNY,

You might want to check out the Cisco Certification forum here at Tek Tips - it is where most of these CCNA type questions are discussed in great detail!

I just posted this infomation for a "Free" lab book for CCNA - exactly what you are looking for - it is about 700 pages and starts with very, very basic stuff on up to some complex setups for CCNA.

Here is what I posted in the Cisco Certification forum HERE!!!

For those who are working on CCNA, here is a "free" Learning by Doing CCNA Lab book - PDF - about 700 pages that will help you with basic stuff to advance stuff. Matt Basham was my "train the trainer" instructor at St. Petersburg college and has been writing this "hands on" training book for about 7 years!

CCNA Version 5-Draft
by Matt Basham

Publisher: bashamm
Copyright: © 2007 Standard Copyright License
Language: English
Edition: Fifth Edition
E-bookDownload FREE Download Now
(7811 kb)

Description:
This is a preview of the version 5 of the CCNA book...

If this link does not work just go to and then search CCNA.

Hope this helps ALL and it is FREE!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Hello everyone

So I come back now a bit more knowledgeable than before. Here is where I am now. I was able to configure my routers password, load a new IOS,and set e0. i did this for two routers so far.
Now I am working on the switches. (I think I really goofed this up though.) I was trying to load a new IOS . I was able to do this through xmodem. However, I kkep getting an error message when I boot. I want to delete the file ios and try using a differnt IOS but now it will not let me delete any of the files or will it allow me to load any files. . This is what I have so far:
Directory of flash:/

6 -r-- 994 <date> config.text
109 -r-- 1811200 <date> flash
2 dr-- 10176 <date> html
165 -rwx 25 <date> env_vars

514560 bytes available (3098112 bytes used)

C2900XL Boot Loader (C2900-HBOOT-M) Version 11.2(8.2)SA6, MAINTENANCE INTERIM SO
FTWARE
Compiled Wed 23-Jun-99 18:03 by boba
starting...
Base ethernet MAC Address: 00:30:94:f3:84:c0
Xmodem file system is available.
Initializing Flash...
flashfs[0]: 162 files, 2 directories
flashfs[0]: 0 orphaned files, 0 orphaned directories
flashfs[0]: Total bytes: 3612672
flashfs[0]: Bytes used: 3098112
flashfs[0]: Bytes available: 514560
flashfs[0]: flashfs fsck took 8 seconds.
...done Initializing Flash.
Boot Sector Filesystem (bs:) installed, fsid: 3
Parameter Block Filesystem (pb:) installed, fsid: 4
Loading ""...: permission denied

Error loading ""

Interrupt within 5 seconds to abort boot process.
The system is unable to boot automatically. The BOOT
environment variable needs to be set to a bootable
image.

switch:

I know that I can not load anymore files due to the fact that the memory is full but I cant seem to get rid of anything either.

As always any suggestions are always huge.

Thanks in advance.

Jonathan

Is this a configuration register setting issue guys? I don't believe so but thinking that that would be the simplest place to begin.. If not then perhaps the next step would be to determine if this device supports tftpdnld and use a -r install (into RAM and access the IOS) then wipe the startup-config and change the configuration register setting to 0x2102...

Wait for Burt or CiscoGuy (Or one of the numerous other pros) to respond here as I am still working on my CCNA!!! Just trying to help!

I was trying to load a new IOS . I was able to do this through xmodem."
Doesn't look like it---there is no IOS. Try tftpdnld in rommon. That or xmodem should prompt you to erase the flash...

Burt

Here is a little more info on the flash directory

switch: dir flash:

6 -r-- 994 <date> config.text
109 -r-- 1811200 <date> flash
2 dr-- 10176 <date> html

514560 bytes available (3098112 bytes used)
switch:

Here is a sample from one of my switches...

Top_Switch#sh flash

2 ---x 1644046 Jun 15 2000 07:55:40 boot.bin
3 ---x 98833 Jun 24 1999 01:26:57 c2900XL-diag-mz-112.8.2-SA6
4 d--x 6848 Jun 15 2000 07:56:57 html
111 ---x 106 Jun 15 2000 07:56:57 info.ver
114 -rwx 1747 Apr 03 1993 15:39:34 config.text
177 ---x 106 Jun 15 2000 07:54:16 info
113 -rwx 780 Apr 16 1993 17:04:15 vlan.dat
112 ---x 302 Jun 15 2000 07:56:58 env_vars

3612672 bytes total (833024 bytes free)
Top_Switch#

3 ---x 98833 Jun 24 1999 01:26:57 c2900XL-diag-mz-112.8.2-SA6---this is the IOS...

2 ---x 1644046 Jun 15 2000 07:55:40 boot.bin---this is the bootloader...

4 d--x 6848 Jun 15 2000 07:56:57 html---this is for the web interface...

114 -rwx 1747 Apr 03 1993 15:39:34 config.text---this is the configuration (startup)...

113 -rwx 780 Apr 16 1993 17:04:15 vlan.dat---this is the vlan configuration...

Burt

Looks like the IOS was renamed "flash" judging by the size of that file.. 1811200k... Is that a possibility Burt?

That's what I was thinking, but don't know how...
If the router were able to boot, he could...
router(config)#boot system flash:flash

Don't know if you can rename "flash" something else with a binary extension via rommon...I know you can in a switch

CRAP! This is a switch!lol

I'll post back in a bit---you can rename flash:flash flash:flash.old
rename flash:config.txt config.old
Then try and delete them, and start over with xmodem.

Burt

I previously posted this in my other thread but I realized this is the thread that I should have posted it into.

Ok guys

I was able to delete the original flash file on my switch but I need some help here because I think I accidently deleted the config.text file. I was able to load the new IOS on the switch via xmodem. Is there anyway i can creat a config.text file and transfer it via xmodem?

File "xmodem:c2900xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC13.bin" successfully copied to "flash:c290
0xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC13.bin"
switch: dir flash:

6 -rwx 1811200 <date> c2900xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC13.bin
2 dr-- 10176 <date> html

Thanks

Jonathan

Just configure the switch! Let us know if you need help...

Burt

Burt

Yes, I do need some help here. Im not quite sure on how to get the switch to recreate the config.text file. I will keep hunting around. Thanks.

Jonathan

The config.txt file is something that is made when you configure the switch.
switch>en
switch#conf t
switch(config)#line con 0
switch(config-line)#password 111
switch(config-line)#login
switch(config-line)#exit
sitch(config)#line vty 0 4
switch(config-line)#password 111
switch(config-line)#login
switch(config-line)#exit
switch(config)#enable secret 222
switch(config)#int vlan1
switch(config-if)#ip add 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
switch(config-if)#no shut
switch(config-if)#exit
switch(config)#ip default-gateway 192.168.1.2
switch(config)#exit
switch#copy run start
switch#reload

switch>en
switch#sh flash

You will then see a config.txt

Burt

Burt

Yes yes I understand that the Switch creates the config file when you configure the switch but at this point I can't even get the switch to boot properly, so I can't get to an enable prompt. I'll figure something out though... Sorry for being such a pest... I will hold back on the posting for now until im not such a newb..

Thank You though for all of the info...

Jonathan

Burt

Now I get it... And I feel so so dumb... My problem was, that after loading the IOS on the switch, I figured I was screwed because I deleted my config file. I took some time away, read a liitle bit more,manually booted the IOS (DUH!!!) and then I was able to build my config. My switch is totally up now with a working config. Now I can move on to the next steps. My problem was I was rushing and not taking the time to read all of the steps. But hey, I know better now. Good for me since to, since now I hosed one of my routers by loading an IOS that was to large.

Thanks again for all of the help and sorry for being a little thick!!

Jonathan

Jonathan,

I'm pretty much doing the same thing as you (Going for the CCNA). So far i have learned this....Break your own hardware every day and learn how to fix it. For example last night i put a new IOS on my 2611 router and wanted to know if i deleted the flash when i uploaded what would happen if i didn't tell the system to boot my new flash....well after about an hour or so i finally got the rommon to boot flash:<BIN NAME> and the save the running config and add it to the system boot. So i hope that you are having fun like me because thats all this really is to me.. Just alot of fun. Break it..Fix it...Break it again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back