Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Workgroups inside the Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cisco79

MIS
Sep 19, 2003
KW
Hi all,

I want to make computers which they are joing the win2000 domain to appear in workgroups when i explore them from (My Network Places) .i.e ( sales, engineering,....).
Could I make this . or is it impossible?
the computers are joinig the domain now but if i explore the omain no workgropus inside
thank you

have a nice day :)

No, you can't have them display as being in a workgroup, but if you have name resolution setup correctly (specifically wins and netbios) you should be able to browse your domain.

/Siddharth

Thx svsawkar
I can browse all computers inside the domain.
but couldn't I seperate them inside the domain??
I mean to get a big tree (Domain) after I browse it I will get the following workgroups (sales, design, girls :).so and so..)
all pc's could see all other , it is just for organizing.
could that happen?
thankssss
stay cool :)

A computer/server can be a member of a domain or a workgroup, but not both at the same time. That is what you are seeing when you browse the network.

How many computers are you talking about? If they all belong to your organization ( not personally owned laptops ) and you are the admin, then maybe you should think about developing a proper computer naming scheme. For example, all computers in the engineering dept would have names starting with "Eng", sales dept computer names would begin with "Sal". etc..

With a well organized and maintained naming scheme, computer names would appear alphabetically in your browse list.

This may involve a lot of work initially, but may be well worth it in the long run.

We do need some clarificions. justcurious is correct, it's either workgroups or domains.
1)How many servers and how many clients.
2)What is your network setup as? Do you have a DC, or a stand alone server
3)What do you see now when you browse the network for names?
4)If you're looking for orginization, have you looked at software out there that would help. I've used the following, and it's great for keeping track of not only os's, but tells me if a user has put new software on that I don't like.

Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
"I only know that I know nothing."
Socrates (47-399 BC); Greek philosopher

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Well, I have 1 server (1 DC),about 25 clients....
all computers are joining and members of this DC.When i browse the (Entire Network) I got the Domain Name (Domain) inside it I have 25 pc's !!!
What I want is to get these 25 pc's in a groups...
I hope if that could be done in Win2000 Server or Actice Directory properties not by third party software
thanks all
stay cool ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back