Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Workgroup switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

NortelGuy585

Technical User
Oct 20, 2010
US
Hey all. i have a question. I have a router that i have outgrown and need more ports. I also have a Linksys 16 port work group switch that i would like to use behind the router but when i try to do this. i lose the ability to use my Vonage modem.. and none of the other computers can network and be found using the Microsoft networking. Im a total NEWB so please dont laugh to hard! anyone have any ideas suggestions?

- Keith "Norstar Newbie"

If I understand your post correctly, this is your setup. Correct me if I'm wrong because you haven't really made it clear. Do you have another router in addition to the Vonage router? The vonage router is designed to be directly connected to your modem. If you have another router, the vonage router CAN be placed on the other side of the that router but special config must be done on the first router. Never mind that for now.

Modem > Vonage Router > Linksys Switch > computers

Your setup should work like that as long as you plug the modem into the right port on the vonage router (as seen in this picture) the BLUE port.

Then the switch should go into the yellow port.
Then the computers plug into the switch.

Do you know for a fact that the switch is not dead????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back