Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Workgroup Limit??? Would a domain be better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaredthensomenumbers

Technical User
Sep 20, 2003
GB
Hi

I want to network 500+ PCs, all wirelessly for a medium/large size company, but firstly i wanted to know if Windows XP, or 2000, have a limit to the number of concurrent connections in a workgroup? Do they support more than even 253 Clients??? If not, would i have to switch to a child domain based network?

Moreover, as each Wireless Access Point only supports 253 clients, how would i connect 500+ PCs? Would i need a router and two WAPs, or can i do even with just 2 WAPs?

Thanks in advance

Regards
Javad Moghisi

With 500+ computers, I would suggest you look at going with a domain. Workgroups are fine for small workgroups (about 10 is the max I would go with), but larger numbers would be much easier. This will also give you better control, and not having to visit 500+ PC's to set certain options. As far as the WAP's, I would have 1 router and two WAP's, but that is me. If you have a feeling that you will be running 500+ PC's and you know that over 253 clients are going to be logged in at the same time, then one WAP is not going to cut it....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back