Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Workgroup is not accessible 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunshineandwine

Technical User
Sep 23, 2003
CA
I have a new WinXP pro SP2 computer that I am trying to network with another computer in my home running WinXP SP2 media centre addition. Have Norton AV installed(free with my Rogers internet account) and Win firewall is turned off. we share an internet connection through a linksys D1-524 wireless router. This computer is hardwired to the router the other is connected wirelessly. The internet is functioning perfectly.
I have read the faq section and tried a few different things including the following:
"enable network access control using IEEE 802.1x" is unchecked
ping 127.0.0.1 working
ping to wireless router is working
ping to the other computer is working.

Client for Microsoft networks, TVT Packet filter, File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks, QoS Packet Scheduler and Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) are installed.
The other computer can see my computer on the network. there is no server.
my computer has an embedded security chip (not sure if this has anything to do with it) and I am the administrator.
the problem is everytime I try to connect to or even view the network I receive the following message.

Workgroup is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resourse. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available.

for simplicity the workgroup is named workgroup.
my old win2000 computer was connected to the other computer without issue.
Please help

Check your basic setup with these, the last link of the three is an interactive troubleshooter.

Simple File Sharing- enabled

Simple File Sharing - disabled

Do you have any access from Safe Mode With Networking?

Are there any clues in the Event Viewer?

You cannot view other workgroup computers on the network on a Windows XP-based computer

WinXP Connectivity Issues
FAQ779-4625

You cannot access shared files and folders or browse computers in the workgroup

Workstation Service Does Not Start

First, make sure that the Norton software doesn't have a firewall component that might be causing this.

Then, normally I would suggest that you force NetBios over TCP/IP. However, just recently I read this & suggest that you do the same if that's the 'embedded secuirity chip' that you're referring to.

Just some more on "Smah's" Nvidia Network Card information.

Got Network issues and nForce Chipset...
thread1583-1437402

So that's where it is..... [pipe] I thought that my original reading was a link from a TT thread somewhere, but couldn't find it. Thanks linney.

Thanks for all the advise the solution was to add the ip addresses of the computers on the network as trusted sites in my Norton Anti Virus Personal Firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back