Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Workgroup Files!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hirenJ

Programmer
Dec 17, 2001
GB

Hi all, I am in the process of securing my access app. I have a front-end MDE and a backend MDB...

am I right in thinking that the MDW file is independant of the individual database files? Do I need to have a separate MDW file for my front-end or not?

Ive created a new MDW and followed all precautions in setting up users & groups (i.e. taking away Admin user rights, and Users group rights.) However, if I open my back-end/or front-end file using the system.mdw I can walk straight in.....

How do I get around this?

Hj

The way I do it is to totally disable the 'Users' group so that it cannot be used at all. Put the 'Admin' account in there as well for security reasons (this stops you getting into the database through normal methods). Make up your own admin account (call it 'PowerAdmin' or whatever) and make it a part of the 'Admins' group.

Make up a new group and add all of your users to this.

You should now notice that you can only get in using the shortcut which also points to the MDW. Give this new group the correct permissions etc and you should be set.

Let me know if you want more info etc...

Oh and...

You normally use the same MDW file for the front and back ends of the database. You place permissions on each database in the same manner.

But remember... locking out a table in the back-end will also lock it out in the front-end etc. Keep that in mind.

Hope this helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back