Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Workbooks Won't Open 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

webrabbit

MIS
Jan 31, 2003
US
Windows XP V 5.1
Excel 2000

I had one problem and created a worse one.

My first problem: I have a workbook with two worksheets. I want to add a new worksheet within the workbook. I fight-click on a tab; various options appear, but not "New". (Other workbooks give me the "New" option when I do this.)

Next problem: I was screwing around with the "Tool" "Optins" and now I cannot open a workbook from Explorer. I get Excel with no wotkbook. If I click on a link, I also get the message "Windows cannot find ...".

If I open a workbook from Excel, it opens just fine.

So, how do I fix these problems?

Sorry, it's Excel 2002. I saw the error 1/4 second after clicking "Submit Post".

Correction: Other workshees do not give me the "New" option either.

Try Insert, Worksheet. I can't recall if that version of Excel ever had New in the tab righ-click menu

Not sure about the second problem. You right-click an excel file in an explorer window and excel opens but the workbook doesn't..... Are you talking of an excel file that you know to be ok?

The settings that you fiddled with (Tools, Options....) are saved in a file called *.xlb
Use windows to Search for this file and change the extension (or delete it). Is the issue resolved?

You can set Excel not to open a blank workbook when it starts but that is not the issue you have reported.

Gavin

Go to Visual Basic Editor (Tools>Macro>Visual Basic Editor). If the Immediate Window is not visible, display it (in VBE: View>Immediate Window).
In the window write [tt]Application.CommandBars("Workbook tabs").Reset[/tt] and press [tt]ENTER[/tt].

combo

I deleter Excel10.xlb. That did not help the second problem.

"Insert worksheet" works. thanks.

--UPDATE--

If I enter "START RECEIPTS.CSV" on the command line, I get the same problem. But if I enter "START EXCEL \CLIENT\RECEIPTS.CSV" on the command line, it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back