Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Workable executable file

Status
Not open for further replies.

hcrider

IS-IT--Management
Apr 19, 2006
US
I am using Visual Studio. NET and to write code in C++. I have had no troulbe using previous versions, but now I can't seem to get a workable executable file. I read earlier discussions and checked the debugger file and the exe file was not what I expected. Can someone give me a hand?

Is it Visual Studio.net2002, .net2003 or .net2005. What is there that you don't expect?

xwb,

.net 2003. Maybe I'm used to the exe files being readily available and executing with a push of a button. (being the "!" button on Visual C++)

There's a Build Solution button near the ! button. You can also go to Build->Build Solution in the menu.

Feeling like an idiot now. I hit build solution, and even used the debugger. I got no erros and the debugger showed that I was receiving the correct information. However, the exe file in the debugger file is still useless.

What do you mean the exe file is useless?
What kind of Project is this (Console, Win32 App...)?

win 32 app. The exe file does nothing. I am looking at the files in the debugger and have a couple of .obj files, a .pdb file, an application file, an icremental linker file and a Minimal Rebuild Dependency File. I have a funny feeling that I'm missing something here. And no '!' button in Visual Studio 2003.

Oh that's right, MS took out the ! button after 6.0 and replaced it with a green triangle, and another triangle to run in the debugger. One of those triangles is missing by default and you need to manually add it by customizing the toolbar.

I'm not sure about why the exe isn't running? Try deleting all the files in the debug or release directory and then do a Build->Rebuild Solution.

Does it matter if I'm in debug or rlease mode and if so, how would I switch?

It shouldn't matter from the point of the program running or not, but if you release it to customers you should use release since it's a lot smaller and doesn't have all the debugging symbols in the exe.

To switch, there should be a combo box in the tool bar that says Debug or Release. If it's not there, you might have to add it by right-clicking the toolbar and add it.

Will check it out. I have a program that I wrote earlier and will test it out as well. cpjust, you're my hero!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back