Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Work as administrator while logged in as regular user 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan08

Technical User
Jan 7, 2013
US
Often I have to work on users computers, and I need to do things as administrator. Usually I have to switch to my admin account and do the work, then ask them to log in to see if it is working on their account. Is there a way to work as an administrator temporarily while still logged in to their account? I know some programs have the "Run as Administrator" option if you right click, but I have found that this is not the case for most programs in Control Panel. Thank you for any advice.

Deja vu: thread779-1711133

Please don't cross-post. As mentioned there, shift + right-click should do what you want.

Sorry about that. I couldn't find the Windows 7 forums at first, and I couldn't figure out how to delete the post later.

No problem. And, you can't delete a thread, though you can red-flag yourself to request a post be deleted.

What exactly is shift + right-click supposed to do. It doesn't seem to be doing anything.

Sorry, actually in XP it will expose the "Run As" option, but in Windows 7 its already there... well, "Run As Administrator" is there for some applets, like Device Manager, but not "Run As..." like in XP.

My problem is alot of the times I need to install or uninstall a program, and there is no option to elevate my privileges to perform the install. I am hoping there is a way to temporarily elevate my privileges by entering my admin credentials but remain in the user's account.

If it's an executable, then either right-click "Run as administrator" or shift + right-click "Run as different user" should work.

As for control panel applets like "Programs and Features", yes I see the problem. All I can see is "Run as administrator"... An awkward workaround might be to open a command prompt with "Run as different user", then type the .CPL file for the applet (like appwiz.cpl), this should launch it with your credentials

Ok, that's more options then I had before. Thanks for the tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back