Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Words with vowels in the correct order and then reversed

Status
Not open for further replies.

CondorMan

Technical User
Jan 23, 2005
GB
How many can you find in the English language? I know more in the correct order than reversed.

CondorMan, I presume you mean words with all five vowels?

Note: see Random Word Puzzles for related puzzles.

Code:
[white][b]Forward:[/b]
abstemiously
abstentious
facetious
facetiously
lateritious
adjectitious
adventitious
adventitiously
arenicolous
arsenious
arteriosus

[b]Reverse:[/b]
uncomplimentary
unnoticeably[/white]

-------------------------------------
• Every joy is beyond all others. The fruit we are eating is always the best fruit of all.
• It is waking that understands sleep and not sleep that understands waking. There is an ignorance of evil that comes from being young: there is a darker ignorance that comes from doing it, as men by sleeping lose the k

Sure did. I know another with them reversed.

I don't have time to revamp my dictionary right now, to merge the two more dictionaries I've come across. [sad]

Oh... and I know a ton more of each if the word is only required to have aeiou in order (or reversed) but may have other vowels interspersed, out of order.

I mean subcontinental.

The words that I meant in the original post had only the five vowels in forward then reverse order. I see that some have given words that have additional vowels - my mistake for not being explicit. It is, after all, my first post in this group - but I'll be back!

CondorMan, are you able to "see" our whited out answers? "Subcontinental" was already given as an answer.

It's important to be precise. Here are some words with "vowels in alphabetical order:"

a
I
cat
dog
man
cow
fish
strength

[smile][smile][smile][smile][smile]

Note the vowels are simultaneously in reverse alphabetical order, too!

I hope you understand that I am gently teasing and that your contributions to and participation in the Wordplay forum are greatly appreciated.

P.S. If I really wanted to get pedantic, I would say that all words that are correctly spelled have vowels in the correct order. Only a messpellid word could have vowels in reverse correct order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back