Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Words vs. Letters in Illustrator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCGliderguy

Technical User
May 27, 2008
I'm using Illustrator to generate vector art.... for use with a CNC router.
If I create individual letters.... convert to outlines... and "Make compound paths" in Illustrator, the characters import just fine into my CAM software (Vectric Cut 2D). However, if I create "words".... groups of letters.... the import fails, and Cut 2D tells me that the file that I am importing is probably a bitmap file.

Does anybody know if there is a command that effectively breaks up words into individual letters? What I am working towards doing, is to create type on a path... and then import those vectors into the CAM program....

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

-Taylor

either ungroup the text or break apart with pathfinder; not sure otherwise.
good luck!
-E

'There is no LEASH LAW for the IMAGINATION!'
myspace.com/erixworx

Thanks! You got me pointed in the right direction, and I was successful!
Here's the steps that work (I even tried it with type on a path!)

1) Compose the type in Adobe Illustrator
2) Select the block of type with the arrow tool and go to Type > Make Outlines.
3) Set the View style to Outlines
4) Go to Object > Ungroup (Click individual letters to make sure that they are selectable....
5) Save as .ai file

It all seems perfectly obvious now that I have the winning combination..... but I sure went through a lot of different combinations of steps to come close....

Thanks again!

-Taylor

glad you got it; I've found that there is usually more than one way to get the desired results, and finding out the best way can be half the work.
-E

'There is no LEASH LAW for the IMAGINATION!'
myspace.com/erixworx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back