Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Words Split Between Lines - CS4 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnOB

Technical User
Oct 5, 2006
GB
Hi All

Not sure what it is called when a word is split between two lines, so you have some of the word at the end of one line and the rest of the word at the start of the next, but does anyone know if there is a way of stopping this happening in text frames in Indesign CS4? So that it makes sure every word is complete on one line and if it can't fit on one line, it moves it automatically to the next. I can obviously do this manually but I sometimes miss this, then when I spell check it gives me uncapitalised sentence errors where I have manually corrected.

I have looked through the class in a box book but can't find reference, though this may be because I don't know what it is called.

Thanks

"Stupid isn't not knowing the answer, it's not asking the question

This is 'hyphenation', which can be enabled/disabled in the paragraph styles and the paragraph panel. You can also control how many letters should appear before a word is hyphenated.

Manual line breaks are the devil's tool. Avoid whenever possible.

You may do well to learn basic typography. You can find a lot of free articles about typography and InDesign at creativepro.com

Spamjim that's great thanks for your help will make sure to avoid doing it manually from now on.

Thanks again.

"Stupid isn't not knowing the answer, it's not asking the question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back