Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wordperfect 12 hangs

Status
Not open for further replies.

walter3ca

Technical User
Jan 9, 2005
US
I have had this problem before, and I forgot how to fix it. I'm running XP Pro with Symantec Corp AV. I have re-installed WP 12. My hard drive died. I have even installed the WP 12 service pack. I double click on WP, and it tries to start (I have monitored this in the Task Manager), then it just dies. I have tried the printer fix and the template fix, and they do not work. However, WP 11, et. al. do work. There is just something in 12 which conflicts with something. And ideas? Thanks.

Try renaming the wp12us.wpt. Replace US with your country code if not US. Then start wp.

Been there. Done that. No joy. No, the solution lies elsewhere. I just don't remember where.

Of course the other suggestion is what you say you've tried. A valid printer driver is needed for wp. If wp11 is working ok on the same computer then that should not be the problem.

If you are not the administrator you might trying logging in as such and see if that does it. It may be a permission issue.

Other than that, it would have to be a registry problem.

I am the Administrator. And I have cleaned the registry of Corel, as far as I know. Hmmm.

Here is what kb.corel.com says about this type of problem:
WordPerfect 11 Hangs When Launching.

Article ID: 207671
Revision Date: September 17, 2003

The information in this document applies to:
WordPerfect(R) 11 for Windows(R)

WordPerfect 11 hangs when launching. The hourglass appears and you will get the message "Program not responding" when bringing up the task manager.l
This is usually an indication of communication problems with the installed printers or no printers are installed.

Removing and re-installing the default printer will correct this issue.

If more then one printer is present on the system, try setting another printer as default.

If no physical printer is available, install a local generic Apple LaserWriter.e

If you have multiple printers installed, you may be required to remove all the printers one at a time and try launching WP11 after the removal of each.a

Yeah, I know. But my problem is that I don't even get the hourglass. I click on the icon, and nothing happens. I monitored the Task Manager and I see it try to start, then it just dies.

The key to to solve a problem like this is akin to a shade tree mechanic. Do the steps I recommend to remove that possible problem. This link explains it more.
Try launching wp from the Start menu or from windows explore.

If you are not the administrator you may need to set some permissions. The c:\tmp and c:\temp should have full access to all users. Click Start, Control Panel, Settings, Advanced and then Environment variables to see what paths are set.

my problem with wordperfect 12,just delivered with a new Dell 8400,is that it keeps giving error pop ups ,this seemed to worsen after a few wks of use,then i added an install of MS word, I finally deleted both and went back to free open office

other thing is,how can you get wordperfect 12,to open all MS word docs?

I haven'y had 12 working for long, or in a while, but I remember that it automatically converted .docs.

On my machine, WP12 "hangs" because I have the document folder entry in "oprions/file locations" pointing to a network drive which has not been mapped just yet.

Make sure your path statement does not have errors. WP checks path statement if path has a inncorrect value WP will hang.

"Only those who risk going too far
can possibly find out how far one
can go."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back