Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WordPad

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightowl17

Technical User
Feb 15, 2002
US
I have XP Home and I noticed that it is not equiped with wordpad Or am I just missing the boat! Is it there or not ? How can I get it ? Thanks for any help Hope This Helps Solve Your Problem
nightowl17

You should find it here:

C:\Program Files\Accessories\WORDPAD.EXE

All the best, SteveB.

No not there I did a file search and that came up empty, Hope This Helps Solve Your Problem
nightowl17

try c:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories\wordpad.exe

That's where mine is :)

Good luck

WordPad is in "C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories\wordpad.exe" on both my WinXP Pro and WinXP HE.

Nope not in the C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories\wordpad.exe folder , wonder if I have a bad install , I took wordpad out of Win98 and put into XP seems to work all right in the mean time I will try and find it in XP Hope This Helps Solve Your Problem
nightowl17

You may have a virus. I've seen WordPad disappear before on some W98 PC's, but not W2K or XP. You may want to search for something like "wordpad*.*" w/o the quotes. It may have been renamed or moved.

Oops sorry! I meant "c:\program files\windows nt\accessories\wordpad.exe"

Under "Help >> About Wordpad" it shows version 5.1

Could your problem be due to upgrading from a previous version of Windows? Mine is a clean install of XP Pro.

Regards, SteveB.

Either on the hard drive in C:\i386 or on the CD, look for these files:
WORDPAD.CH_ .chm
WORDPAD.EX_ .exe
WORDPAD.HL_ .hlp
WORDPAD.IN_ .inf

Use the expand command in a Command Prompt window to decompress the WORDPAD.EX_ file thus [change the c: drive for your CD i386 folder if needed]:

c:\>EXPAND C:\i386\WORDPAD.EX_ c:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories

I also have it in C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\ so the command would then be:
c:\>EXPAND C:\i386\WORDPAD.EX_ C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache

Note that there is a space between Windows and NT in the first command.

If you need the other files, I can give you their paths.

WinXP doesn't use the "extract" command of Win9x/ME.

windows\system32\sysoc.inf file. edit in notepad. remove the word 'hide' in the wordpad line. leave the comma comma. save the file. go to add remove windows components, I think under accessories, check wordpad and then ok.

sysoc.inf on my WinXP Pro and WinXP HE is located in the C:\Windows\Inf folder.

This may be out of line, but have you tried Add/Remove Programs | Windows Components, in control panel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back