Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wordpad saves as Word 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

macten88

Technical User
May 11, 2004
US
I'm using W2000 Professional and when I save a file with Wordpad it always saves it as a Word document. I've tried saving as a rich text format (.rtf) but it still saves as a word document. How do I save it as a Wordpad document?

Wordpad by default saves files as .rtf although the icon they get might be similar to the Word icon. If Word has rtf files associated with it.

You should be able to tel if its rtf or doc by looking at the extension.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

these files are saved with the Word symbol. will they open up on a pc that doesn't have Word installed on it?

when I double click on one, Word always opens it up. It looks to me like when they are saved, they become Word 'documents'. Even though they are .rtf.

I just right clicked on one and was able to open it with Wordpad. That's what I need.

I could have sworn that before my format and re-installation that they were saved with the Wordpad symbol though.

If these files are definitely RTF files, though are opening in Word, you can set it up so they always open in WordPad to save you having to use the right click option, by doing the following.

Double Click 'My Computer' and choose Tools > Folder Options and click the 'File Types' tab. This may take a moment to load. Once the list is loaded the file extensions should be sorted alphabetically, and if you scroll down and find the 'RTF' extension. Once highlighted it will probably tell you below that it is set to open with Word. To change this hit the 'Change' button, and in the list of Programmes that appears highlight WordPad. Ensure the tick at the bottom is ticked that says 'Always use the selected program to open this kind of file'. Click OK

Now, any time you double click an RTF file it should open in WordPad, and also the Icon for any RTF files should change back to the WordPad Icon.

As for why this happened, you mentioned a re-install. If software was re-installed it is possible whoever did this automatically selected that RTF was one of the file types Word should associate with, as this is the usual format.

Hope this helps.

"Stupid isn't not knowing the answer, it's not asking the question

Thanks John. The files are now being saved as Wordpad files.

I'm the one who formatted and reinstalled everything. I did nothing to change .rtf to Word format. I just re-installed all the programs. Some how it happened behind the scenes.

Thanks again....

Since Word has the capability of opening RTF files, it will usually associate them with itself to have them opened in Word when double clicked. When it does this it gives them an icon similar to that of a Word document. However if you take these files to a computer without word, you'll most likely see that the icon is the default Wordpad icon and not the Word icon.

So yes the documents will open in a PC without Word just fine.

Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

thanks for the info Vacunita. I learned something new so I figure it's worth a star....

Glad to have helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back