Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wording in a cover letter

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTeeple

Programmer
Aug 21, 2002
CA
Hi all,
I was having a debate with my sister today about capitalization in titles, and job descriptions.

She has a resume, in which one of her job titles is Client Coordinator.

In her cover letter she is mentioning job positions she's held:
"... customer service, client coordinator".

I suggested to her that she use title caps (first letter of each word capitalized) for those job positions in her cover letter, and she disputed that.

Can someone tell me the correct way?

[cheers]
Cheers!
Laura

I don't think there's a hard and fast rule. We have to keep in mind the purpose of the document: to convince the HR recruiter to call her in for an interview.

Using caps helps emphasize. If her experience as a Client Coordinator has bearing on this job she's trying to get, then use caps.

Recruiters go through many resumes. Using caps helps keywords jump out, increasing the likelihood that they'll pick up on them.

Is Client Coordinator a title? Then it is a proper noun. Capitalize it.

Is customer service a description (but not a title)? Then it is not a proper noun. Don't capitalize it.

-------------------------------------
It is better to have honor than a good reputation.
(Reputation is what other people think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself.)

Generally job tites are not proper nouns unless they are specific to the organization. I was Management Analyst for Navy Audit. I have 14 years expereince as an analyst. The difference is in how you are referring the postion.

Questions about posting. See faq183-874

My title has usually been Programmer Analyst. Although I haven't the faintest idea what exactly is a programmer analyst as opposed to, say, a programmer.

Dimandja,

I didn't have an idea also, until I met in my current workplace analysts who are not programmers. Well, and some programmers are not analysts, either.

A Programmer Analyst is an analyst that does programming as additional job, while an Analyst Programmer is does it the other way.
A traditional (plain) Programmer doesn't do analysis jobs like interviewing users, designing databases and process flows. Programmers basically translate 'blue prints' into program codes.

Oops! I should have double-checked my grammar. This is not the 'place' to commit such errors. Sorry. [blush]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back