Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word97 Protection problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metty

MIS
Nov 17, 1999
US
I'm not sure if this has to do with protecting a document, but here's what I want to do:<br>
<br>
I have an employee time sheet that has a standard format with a table & lines for my employees to input information. Instead of having them fill out their hours on paper every week, I would like them to be able to enter them on the word document and then print it. <br>
<br>
The problem is that I'm not sure how to setup the document so that the lines do not move when they type in the fields. The following is an example of my time sheet:<br>
<br>
<br>
Name:_________________<br>
Department:_________________<br>
Week of:___________________<br>
<br>
I want them to be able to fill in their name without the line/spaces moving because it causes problems with spacing in the rest of the document. Is there a way to make the fields like a background that can't be moved? <br>
<br>
Thanks for your help!!!!!!<br>
<br>

You may want to add the fields as text form fields. Then, if you lock the form, they can only enter information in the form fields. This will protect the formats on the rest of the form. I incorporated this, along with tables, to create a single page engineering spec sheet that has about 250 fields. Using locked forms also makes it easier on the user because they just tab between the fields.

I agree with tclere. However, to get the underlines, specifically using your example:<br>
<br>
Make a two-column, three-row table. Remove all the borders from the table.<br>
<br>
Type Name: in the first cell, move to the right-hand cell, put a bottom border on the cell, and insert the form field textbox.<br>
<br>
Same thing in row two for department, etc.<br>
<br>
When you print this, it looks like somebody typed onto a form.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back