Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word97 IncludeText and extra blank line

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffward

MIS
Jul 3, 2002
GB
During a complicated mail merge process I am inserting sub documents into a master document via the INCLUDETEXT option.

This is adding an extra blank line after the inserted document.

for example, if my master document was: -

Line1
Line2
INCLUDETEXT....
Line3

Then I end up with
Line1
Line2
LineA from sub doc
LineB from sub doc
blank line
Line 4

The blank line is NOT in the sub document, how do I stop it being added?

So, the line...it's a paragraph return?

Why are you using IncludeText instead of AutoText?
Just curious...there could be a reason, but people are often wrong about their reasoning.

:)

Anne Troy

I am using include text because (as per a related topic i have had no replies to!) the document has a number of sections require a list of data and so the only way I have managed to do this is to do seperate mail merges of these sub documents and then include them in the main document.

I also use the includetext in an if 1=1 condition to force word to bring in the actual document test so that it can be saved as a standalone document (without the if 1=1 word just creates a link to the file in the merged output).

Not sure if autotext is what im after but I will have a look at the Word help.

In the mean time, If there is a better way to do this or even a better way to produce the sub documents then I welcome any input!

Hi jeffward,

One way to work around the 'blank' line after the includetext field might be to make it the first entry in the following paragraph. Your could even have more than one such field within the same paragraph.

The other thing that might work even better would be to bookmark all of the text that you want to import, except for the final paragraph mark, and add the bookmark reference to your includetext field.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back