Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word2K setup portable embedded objects in same file

Status
Not open for further replies.

vtisgreat

Vendor
May 3, 2001
US
I have a file that I use embedded objects as a summary for details later in the same document. Unfortunately, when I move the file to a different folder the links remain to the original location. I can restore the links manually, but I need to distribute this file to several people, and the number of links to be resetablished are too many, and the process is too complex. Anybody have a better idea of how to maintain portability?

Hi vtisgreat,

I'm afraid that i don't understand what's happening.

You have a Docment with embedded linked objects.

Are the referenced files are on a common server?

I linked an object, saved my document and then moved to to another folder and had problem referencing the object from that folder.

Maybe I'mm missing something???

Skip,
Skip@TheOfficeExperts.com

The idea that I have is to have a summary item within file 1 and the details in the same file. For example... I have a 50 page document that has several metrics spread throughout the document. What I have done is embedded links to the data throughout the document and localized all the data in a summary section. This works great... The summary section of the document shows all the details in one glance.

This document is used as a tool, and needs to be able to survive in many folders on different servers. If I give a copy of this for someone to use on a different computer, even though the links should point to the file itself, since the links are elaborated as full path names, they actually point to the original file location.

I have many links in the file to itself, it is a tremendous burdon to have every user redefine all links manually.

Hope this helps.

The links are to same file. File summary is in "File1" file links are to "File1".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back