Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word07 cannot save Normal

Status
Not open for further replies.

OfficeAnimal

Technical User
Jun 4, 2009
AU
Every time I close Word07 I receive this message

I found the folder to be Read-Only so I tried to change it only to receive this message

I tried anyway but the attribute was not changed. That's odd. I am the sole user of the machine and I have Administrator rights.

What can I do?

"Truth will sooner come out from error than from confusion."
Francis Bacon (1561-1626)

Your images don't display. Perhaps you could post the actual messages.

Cheers
Paul Edstein
[MS MVP - Word]

Every time I close Word07 I receive this message
redir

I found the folder to be Read-Only so I tried to change it only to receive this message
redir

I tried anyway but the attribute was not changed. That's odd. I am the sole user of the machine and I have Administrator rights.

I have tried unchecking 'Prompt before saving Normal Template' in Word Options --> Advanced --> Save and was told
redir

I click Yes and is saves :(

I don't know what is going on with "Insert Image" on this site but the story is this.

Word asks whether I want to save changes to the global template Normal WHENEVER I close the application. It does not matter if I have opened Word by mistake, done nothing, and closed it. It still asks.

Then it tells me that I can't save Normal because the folder is full, write protected or damaged.
I can't change the Read-Only setting on the folder because I need administrator rights - I AM THE ADMINISTRATOR!

The best I can ever get is to save the template to My Documents. Incidentally, from there I can save it to Templates\1033.

Many mysteries. Not the end of the world - but darned annoying.

That suggests you may have a corrupt Normal template. First, see:
If Word still won't run properly after taking the steps outlined there, close all Office apps, then use Windows Explorer to navigate to:
C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\TemplatesRename the Normal.dotm template to, say Normal.dotm, then re-start Word.

Cheers
Paul Edstein
[MS MVP - Word]

There are a few possible reasons why Word should think your Normal Template has changed when you think you have done nothing to trigger it, and that may be an issue to investigate when you have solved the saving issue.

As for not being able to save, it sounds slightly odd, but where is your Normal template, and do you actually have one, and where are you trying to save it? It will not be in a \1033 sub folder by default, and will not be opened from there by default. In fact, there won't even be a \1033 folder in your Templates folder, by default. As Paul says, your Normal Template will normally be in your %appdata%\Microsoft\Templates folder.

Enjoy,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.

I'm working (slowly) on my own website

Hi Tony

My templates have been in the 1033 folder since I first used Word07. I certainly did not create a folder by that name. I have just done a full reinstallation of Office so that could be why it wasn't on my trusted list.

Problem though, I could not find the list of where files are stored by Word. Is it not in Microsoft Options somewhere?

True, macropod, but still without answer - on either forum.
I take your point, but I'm still having the problem after all this time.

I'll leave this thread alone and pursue Charles Kenyon's posting. There has to be something causing this.

I don't see any indication you've done anything I suggested above ...

Cheers
Paul Edstein
[MS MVP - Word]

I'm not sure where to reply now, but as I prefer TT to Microsoft's offering, I'll reply here, first at least.

As I said before, the reasons why Word thinks it wants to save Normal are a secondary problem - the fact that you can't save it being the primary problem.

The reason you can't save it is because of the location, which nobody here knew, and which nobody in the other thread seems to have picked up on. I have written more than most people will ever want to know on this subject - see if you're interested.

If you have, or can grant yourself, permission to the folder (with Word closed), delete the Normal.dotm file from where it currently is, and see if Word then tries to create a new one somewhere else. If so, you're winning; if not, I think you may need to make a registry change.

Enjoy,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.

I'm working (slowly) on my own website

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back