Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word XP-want to force blank lines in a mail merge 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 7, 2001
US
Hi everyone,

In previous versions of Word you could choose if you wanted blank line suppressed or not, however in Word XP it appears to do it automatically. The problem is I'm printing form and if there is no data I need it to print the blank line or else it causes formatting problems throughout the form. How can I turn this off?

I tried to use IF statements stating if it was blank to add a hard return, but it didn't work correctly.

Thanks in advance.

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I'm having the opposite problem as you; Word XP is printing blank lines when data doesn't exist for a field, and I cannot figure out how to suppress the blank lines from printing.

Have you tried using the IF field?

For example, the following will print an address on a new line only if the address exists:

{ IF { MERGEFIELD Address2 }<> &quot;&quot; &quot;<paragraph mark here>
{ MERGEFIELD Address2 }&quot; &quot;&quot; }

This example will force a blank line even if the field is empty:

{ IF { MERGEFIELD Address2 }= &quot;&quot; &quot;<paragraph mark here>
&quot; &quot;<paragraph mark here>
{ MERGEFIELD Address2 }&quot; }

There is probably an option setting somewhere, but these samples will work regardless of how Word is instructed to handle blank lines in the merge.

Thanks GeekGirlau, that worked. It shouldn't be that difficult, but it worked.

A little history, if you care: I created this mail merge in Word 2000. The blank address lines were being suppressed properly. When I opened the document in Word XP, the blank lines were not being surpressed at all, until I follwed your suggestion.

Good old Microsoft once again fixing things that aren't broken!

Then why isn't it Office 2002??? Thanks for the naming tip, jfhewitt...I just assumed that Office XP contained Word XP...

I think that the link you posted does apply to my problem, but the kicker is that this document is actually for my wife at her office, so it would be hard to convince them to install the patch!

As GeekGirlau said, &quot;Good old Microsoft once again fixing things that aren't broken!&quot;

Hi,

I think I figured this thingy out. It's the missing MailMerge Helper that it seems you want. You need to go under Tools->Customize then click on the Commands tab. In the left box, Categories, choose "All Commands" (it's not in alphabetical order either *stupid Office Development team*. Anyhow, go down the list of "Commands" in the box on the right until you find MailMerge Helper (this one is in alphabetical order). Then drag the MailMerge Helper onto a toolbar. Click on it and you will be able to choose to suppress blank lines or not.

Aloha,

James

Thanks, Fox. Your answer was the one I was looking for 6 months ago. I managed to hack this problem away another way, but your post will certainly help me (and others) in the future. Better late than never!

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back