Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word XP AutoText & Section Breaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcrosier

Instructor
Mar 17, 2000
US
I have created an AutoText entry. Due to formatting requirements (columns) I want to end the AutoText entry with a Continuous Section Break. When I save the New Entry, and then attempt to use that entry; my Continuous Section Break converts into a Next Page Section Break.

Any suggestions?

Well, I just did it in Office 2000, and here's what happens:

If I insert your autotext into a file with no previous section breaks, the continuous one works.

However, if I insert your autotext into a file that already has a next-page section break, it doesn't work.

Section breaks are generally "per document". Unless you individually set one, it takes the "format" of the previous one.

Here's a couple of things I'm thinking:

1. Dump the columns and use a table instead. I hate mixing my section breaks up, and I really hate continuous section breaks.

2. Make yourself a macro that inserts it; but I don't guarantee it's going to force the continuous break either, but it should. Brainbench MVP for Microsoft Word
techsupportgirl@home.com

Thanks for the suggestion. I have created the table. Unfortunately apparently XP works a little differently now.
- The table that I created hid the gridlines.
- When I use the AutoText entry the gridlines are no longer hidden.

- I need shallow margins on the table and indented margins on the body of the document. (The AutoText is to insert letterhead formatting.)
- Without a Continuous Section Break, the AutoText entry takes on the margins of the standard document.
- The Continuous Section break still converts to a Next Page Section Break.

I had been trying to avoid macro's, but it is starting to look like I am going to have to use one to get this to work the way I need for it to do so.

Thanks again for your help.
Dawn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back