Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

word xp and windows 98se

Status
Not open for further replies.

scroce

MIS
Nov 30, 2000
US
Have a strange problem that only seems to affect windows 98 machines running office xp. Win2k machines don't seem to experience this.

Seems whenever you start up word and try to type something, the whole screen turns black and you can't see what you've typed. It's very very strange. I tried setting the background colors and the font colors, but to no avail. Is there some kind of known bug with win98se and office xp?

It also does the same thing in outlook, but excel does not seem to be affected.

Has anyone else had this problem? I had to uninstall it and put back office97 on this machine. So far this is the second win98se machine I've installed xp on and the problem is 2 for 2. How much more water would there be in the ocean if it weren't for sponges?

sorry. i think i'm in the wrong forum. How much more water would there be in the ocean if it weren't for sponges?

Strange that Word from Office XP which is backwards compatible down to Win95 (have not tested Win 3.1) and i have had NO PROBLEMS. Have installed in (i don't really count) but probably 40 to 50 different systesm.. ALL home users. and using all versions of Windows from OEM 95 to XP 2600...one of my person machines is LAPTOP 166 with Win 95... Wife is running W2k and i'm running ME and XP..recmmendation.. remove all Office products....using add/remove... the use a many different cleaning programs that u have.... then MS reg Clean.... turn off the computer not simply reboot... the restert.. defrag toatlly using MS defrag then install OXP fully... then let Office configure your system to run the MS way (at least once). then customize it your way... Frank Smith
s0121@starband.net
"SomeWhere in Kansas--"Near Dodge City"

It just seems that i shouldn't have to jump thru hoops like that to get the silly thing to work. Our interim approach was just to take it off the system and re-install office 2000.

It's interesting that I have not yet heard of anyone else at all experiencing this kind of problem. Maybe it has to do with some setting somewhere on those two pc's -

you also wrote:
recmmendation.. remove all Office products....using add/remove... the use a many different cleaning programs that u have.... then MS reg Clean.... etc...

the second time I installed it, it was on a brand new installation of win98. I had just f disked it, reformatted the hard drive, and installed the operating system, and then office xp immediately afterwards. There couldn't have been any residual settings or fragmentation.

I still have a hunch that is was some kind of setting in the software itself - but i could not find it and time ran out on this one. How much more water would there be in the ocean if it weren't for sponges?

The problem machines aren't running in 256-color mode are they?

Just a thought.

"but i could not find it and time ran out on this one" u mean ur using a BETA program... that is or was timed... sorry can not help that way... Frank Smith
s0121@starband.net
"SomeWhere in Kansas--"Near Dodge City"

dilettante - I'm not sure - I didn't think to check that.

Have you experienced problems with xp and color modes?

s0121 - by time running out, i meant that I had to just uninstall it and put something that I knew worked on it. I'm not using a beta version or anything like that. My users just got tired of waiting to find out the "real" answer.

As you know, business moves quickly. As of today, I still do not have a definitive "real" answer to this glitch - although I did not try the 256 color mode thing - but why should that matter its only text after all, right?? How much more water would there be in the ocean if it weren't for sponges?

there would be less water if there were no sponges in the ocean. The sponges absorbe water, but they do add their own mass to the total volume!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back