Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word XP – removing border lines created with autoformat 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wizdar

Technical User
Sep 4, 2002
US
I have a document with border lines that seem to have been created using autoformat (3 underscores create a line across the page). I can’t make the lines go away.

What can be done, short of creating a new document?

In Word 97, at least, the lines are paragraph borders. You can select the paragraphs and go to Format^Borders and Shading... to turn them off.

None of the borders are turned on.

I have a paragraph (hard return) marker above and below the line. Selecting them and then deleting only removes the paragraph markers.

Ctrl+A or at least select about 6 lines above the line through to 6 lines below the line.

Format-Borders and Shading, Borders tab, choose NONE.

To stop it from occurring again:

Tools-Autocorrect, Autoformat as you type. Remove *borders*. Anne Troy

Well, that moved the line up to the last line not selected.

Also, I put a bunch of hard returns above the line, and it forced a line to the next page, but also left a line on the previous page.

Hard returns under this line are right justified for some reason. Maybe this is a clue?

This document came from somebody else. As in, “Can you fix this?” I can make lines using autoformat and then delete them, but the line that came with this document refuses to go away.

There are no borders turned on in the document itself.

I’ve found that the borders are built into a font style (several, actually) that somehow found its way into the document. I can select and modify the style to remove the bottom border, but it also affects other style issues, such as removing custom bullets associated with the text and reverting from Garamond to TNR.

So, I’ve managed to find out where the line is hiding, but getting rid of it without making other changes seems impossible.

I can handle modifying styles quite well in Word 97. The new approach, whatever it is, in XP/2002 is a pain.

Thanks for the help.

And thank YOU, Bill (Gates), for fixing something that wasn’t broke.
madyellow.gif

Oops! Let’s try that again:

Thanks, Anne.
thumpsup.gif

What you are fighting with is definitely a border. Some strange things with the border you were fighting with:

When you select the lines above and below, in borders and shading it will show that the borders are set to none. If you still click on None, even though it says it's already there, it should clear the border.

Second, borders don't like when you try to delete them using the delete key. If you try using the delete key before the above method, like you did, then the above method doesn't work right any more, unless you select everything.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back