Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word Trivia II: What 7-letter English words contain 11 words... 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SantaMufasa

Technical User
Jul 17, 2003
US
...without rearranging the 7 letters?

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
@ 19:25 (16Dec04) UTC (aka "GMT" and "Zulu"),
@ 12:25 (16Dec04) Mountain Time

Code:
[white]Therein
Contains 1)The 2)He 3)Her 4)Er 5)There 6)Here 7)Ere 8)Rein 9)Re 10)In  11)I 12)Herein

I think that both ER and RE might be pushing it - they're in the dictionary, though![/white]

[tt]-John[/tt]

How about 13 words:
Code:
[COLOR=white]13 for "bathers" (11 without "er","ers"): bat, bath, bathe, bather, bathers, a, at, the, he, her, hers, er, ers
[/color]

Higgins,

Well done ! I agree with the dodginess of "er" since all I can find is its use as a suffix or an abbreviation. "Re", I'll take, however, since it is the spelling of Maria Von Trapp's "'Re', a drop of golden sun". So, given the one inclusion of "re" and since "therein" includes there word "therein", I would say, "Therein we have 12 qualified words: I,he,in,re,the,her,ere,here,rein,there,herein,therein".

There is yet another 7-letter English word with at least 11 included words without letter rearranging.

[santa]Mufasa
@ 21:44 (16Dec04) UTC (aka "GMT" and "Zulu"),
@ 14:44 (16Dec04) Mountain Time

Just wait until my query finishes (48 minutes and counting)

-------------------------------------
• Every joy is beyond all others. The fruit we are eating is always the best fruit of all.
• It is waking that understands sleep and not sleep that understands waking. There is an ignorance of evil that comes from being young: there is a darker ignorance that comes from doing it, as men by sleeping lose the k

Well done, both Higgins and Up-Not...Have some stars. (Sorry, Up-Not, my post crossed with yours...and your coming up with the "other" word of which I was thinking, "bathers".)

Soon, ESquared will tell us if we forgot any others.

Cheers,

[santa]Mufasa
@ 22:12 (16Dec04) UTC (aka "GMT" and "Zulu"),
@ 15:12 (16Dec04) Mountain Time

For what it's worth, here's what I was thinking when using those words:
RE:
M-W.com said:
1 noun Etymology: Medieval Latin, from the syllable sung to this note in a medieval hymn to Saint John the Baptist
: the 2d tone of the diatonic scale in solmization

2 prep Etymology: Latin, ablative of res thing -- more at REAL
: with regard to : IN RE

ER:
yourdictionary.com said:
interj. Used to express hesitation or uncertainty

[tt]-John[/tt]

Yes, I totally concur with "re" (per the Maria Von Trapp usage as the 2nd tone of the diatonic scale), but was puzzling over the "er" since it was in the same category as "um" and "uh" as spelt versions of Anglo-Saxon vocal stalling devices, and if we go down that road, it could get pretty wild. But since you found it documented in an as-far-as-we-know and otherwise-reputable source ("yourdictionary.com"), I'm certainly willing to keep an open mind.

Any other votes for or against allowing spellings of "verbal loss of signal" such as "er", "um", and "uh"?

[santa]Mufasa
@ 22:24 (16Dec04) UTC (aka "GMT" and "Zulu"),
@ 15:24 (16Dec04) Mountain Time

er, um, and uh are all in the Scrabble Official Word List (50[sup]th[/sup] Anniversary Edition)

--Chessbot

There is a level of Hell reserved for probability theorists in which every monkey that types on a typewriter produces a Shakespearean sonnet.

hmm, ehhh, not sure, urk.

• Every joy is beyond all others. The fruit we are eating is always the best fruit of all.
• It is waking that understands sleep and not sleep that understands waking. There is an ignorance of evil that comes from being young: there is a darker ignorance that comes from doing it, as men by sleeping lose the k

Upnotout-

Your word also contains "era", "eras", "ear" and "ears".

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Exact Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports
askdon@srhconsulting.com

dgillz,

Although you are correct about Upnotout's "bathers" containing those additional words, they don't count since the original rules of this particular game are:

"What 7-letter English words contain 11 words without rearranging the 7 letters?"

Cheers,

[santa]Mufasa
@ 01:42 (17Dec04) UTC (aka "GMT" and "Zulu"),
@ 18:42 (16Dec04) Mountain Time

chessbot said:
er, um, and uh are all in the Scrabble Official Word List
Hmmm....
I try to teach them Scrabble, but all they can say is "Ugh!" - and they can't agree on how to spell it...

farthermost (11 +1):
farther, most,far, fart, art, the, he, her, thermo, thermos, herm, er
;-)

[blue]The last voice we will hear before the world explodes will be that of an expert saying:
"This is technically impossible!" - Sir Peter Ustinov[/blue]

Code:
[white][b]scraped[/b]: scrap scrape scraped crap crape craped rap rape raped ape aped ped ed (13)
[b]chiders[/b]: chi chid chide chider chiders hi hid hider hiders I id hide er (13)[/white]

My blasted dictionary has too many illegal words in it: proper nouns, abbreviations, single letters...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back