Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word switches to French

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmmaul

Technical User
Apr 16, 2003
US
We have two Win 98 systems running Word 98 that keep switching the default language to French by themselves. Anyone know why or how to fix?

I think the default language is as speified in the document template (probably Normal.dot). That file can get corrupted or infected by a macro virus.

I would search for all copies of Normal.dot and rename as Normal.old (while Word is not open).

When you open Word it will recreate Normal.dot. You could then make Normal.dot read only which should lock everything down. If you want customisations eg of styles do that in another template - at least until it is clear whether the problem is resolved.

I assume you have a current virus checker.

You should also be able to go into add/remove programs. Customize the Office install and remove the french lang. selection. I had the smae problem with spellcheck checking in french.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back