Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word Spelling/grammar - excluded text

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnCHolmes

Technical User
Jun 25, 2002
US
I just saw something that I don't believe I've seen before. Upon completing a spelling/grammar check, instead of just saying "the spelling and grammar check is complete" it also added something to the effect of "sections marked for exclusion were not checked."

I cannot even reproduce that extra clause, even when I *DO* mark a line and go {tools/language/set language} and click the "do now check" button, and hit F7 again. My uninformed observation is that Word keeps a "permanent record" of what's already been reported to the user, and doesn't ever re-report things. Is that what happened here?

Anyway, most importantly, is there a way to see overall what text is marked for exclusion? I don't even see anything on the toolbars that "lights" up the way that (e.g.) the Bold icon does.

1. text in a section protected for forms is excluded from spell checking.

2. yes, there is a boolean property of the Document, SpellChecked. Once checked, it is set as a non-persistent document variable (= True). It becomes false again if new text is added; if no new text is added F7 will display "Document is checked" or something like that. If the document is closed and reopened this setting is False.

Gerry

The message would indicate that some part of the document - perhaps a particular style - has been set for no proofing. The way I eliminate the problem is to SelectAll, then go to Tools, Language, Set Language and make sure that the 'Do not check spelling and grammar' check box is clear, that the default language is correct and then press the Default button and OK.

Regards: tf1

Thanks, tf1 - I'm inclined to go that way. A catch would be if I inherited a huge .DOC with tons of proper names.

Also thanks fumei. 1. I have no forms. 2. What I referred to was heavier than the single file Boolean. When you "ignore" a suggestion, your answer is remembered even after you save, close and reopen the file. It's as though it keeps "dirty designation" for all text in the entire document. Boolean SpellChecked is ignited when opening a file or when anything becomes dirty in the file, which apparently controls whether even anything at all is processed upon F7. But there are lower level marks throughout the .DOC, apparently persistent, right?

Anyway, a high level identification of WHAT is excluded, working like the Bold icon does, would be nice.

The Do not check spelling and grammar check box is quite useful for blocks of text that aren't English - a foreign phrase, or maybe some code.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK) [yinyang]

I'm looking for the file: "MD561404.CAB" from "MSOffice 2003 proofing tools". The one on my CD is damaged. Any sugestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back