Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word Sandwiches 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ESquared

Programmer
Dec 23, 2003
US
Build a word sandwich! I've provided the 'meat,' now you provide the bread!

Each of the following 'sandwich contents' can be turned into an English word by adding the same letters before and after (the bread!). For each one, list the English word(s) that can be constructed.

For example, given 1. IOXID and being asked for 3 letters before and after, you would answer 1. ANTIOXIDANT. When answering, include the number of the item.

General notes about this AND future similar puzzles:
Some of these words are slang or very obscure! But they are all in dictionaries except where noted in parentheses with a hint. Hints may also be given for a nonstandard word. Note: some words only appear in specialized locations such as medical dictionaries. Some words I did not specifically find in a dictionary, but a web search proved the word *should* be able to be found in some dictionary, somewhere. :)

Credits to strongm for the idea behind this kind of puzzle.

Have fun making sandwiches!

3 Letters
1. S
2. K (proper noun, U.S. City)
3. AU
4. UL
5. MEN
6. OMBM
7. ISCOVE
8. ENTIALN

4 Letters
9. D

5 Letters
10. GRO

For more puzzles, see Word Sandwiches 2

Code:
[white]Good puzzles, e[sup]2[/sup]!

I started at the end, working forward, but wound up just skipping around.

It's time to go home and this is as far as I got :(  I'll try to get the rest later

3. bed[b]au[/b]bed

6. ent[b]ombm[/b]ent
7. red[b]iscove[/b]red
8. ess[b]entialn[/b]ess

10. under[b]gro[/b]under
[/white]

Code:
[white]
hotshot
Oshkosh
bedaubed
insulins
tormentor
entombment
rediscovered
essentialness
raindrain (not sure about this one!)
undergrounder
[/white]

-LB

lbass: On that one you're not sure about, continue to be not sure!

-------------------------------------
A sacrifice is harder when no one knows you've made it.

Might it be:

Code:
[white]
okeydokey
[/white]

-LB

lbass: Winnah! Winnah! You receive one free trip to the bathroom (you must supply the bathroom)!

How did you solve these puzzles? I think it would have taken me a long time if I was doing them with just my brain and a pencil.

Too bad I can't really work on these puzzles myself as I had to see the answers to select them. Then again, I forget what half of them are, maybe it would work! Hehe.

-------------------------------------
A sacrifice is harder when no one knows you've made it.

Brain, pencil, and sheer determination. Thanks for the fun...

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back