Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word Pad Open all files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoon

Technical User
Nov 27, 2002
US
How can I make Word Pad show all files when I click on open, not Doc as it does now?

Being as WordPad is a 'lite' version of Word, there's not nearly as many choices/customizations available, so it may not be permanently changeable.

I'll look into it for you. One thing you can do: When you do a File > Open, type *.* and hit enter (it's faster than using the mouse to drop down the File Type box).

Dear Zoon
Put a shortcut for Wordpad into your SendTo folder.
Then you can still choose which program you use w/o fiddling with the OpenWith dialogue.
Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort and means that links are more likely to be current. Please 'Comment' on them if they are not!

Thanks for the help. I am new to forums and did not look at FAQs. I did a search and that is how I found this forum.

Dear Zoon,
That is only my signature and is there to let people know that if a link is posted in a thread it may have become Dead but if you check out the FAQ area of a forum there may be a more recent Link.
To get to the FAQ area of any Forum in Tek-Tips click on one of the :

Check out the FAQ
area for this forum!

links below everyones post
It is only for information and is not intended as a criticism.
Enjoy Tek-Tips, it's the best resource on the Internet
in my Humble opinion Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort and means that links are more likely to be current. Please 'Comment' on them if they are not!

OK, I got it.

Now, I'm using Win2K so it may be slightly different for Win9x:

Open the registry (Start > Run > regedit)
Do a search for WordPad
When you find a folder called "WordPad", open it and look for an "Options" folder.
Open it and locate the key DefaultFormat.
Double-click it and change the value. On my system, changing it to 9 made "All Files" the default file name to open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back