Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word of the Year! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

2ffat

Programmer
Oct 23, 1998
US
Merriam-Webster named austerity as its Word of the Year for 2010.

I didn't like any of the runner-ups. Can you think of a better Word of the Year?

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Being just a spit up the road from Springfield, it's good to know Merriam Webster is looking out for our linguistic well being. My vote for word of the year would be 'vilified'. Has a real 21st century ring to it. [#-)]

Paul

The Daily Mail word of the year, as always, is 'Outrage'.

The internet - allowing those who don't know what they're talking about to have their say.

What qualities make a word the word of the year?

It appears to be influenced by the number of searches for any given word.

Sounds more like rewarding ignorance.

< 60 working days until retirement

I vote for B******s. Because at the end of the day, that's what a lot of these xyz of such and such year things tend to be, just utter b******s (and cheap TV programming)

And cue red flag.

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

I vote to RF this for "at the end of the day"

p5

I do not understand b******s

What is plural????

< 60 working days until retirement

I didn't think there was a plural for your explanation, Ben.

I would hazard a guess that the B******s indicates something related to the reproductive process, particularly in relation to the male physique, when expressed in the Anglo-Saxon vernacular.

It is time for pacifists to stand up and fight for their beliefs.

So 2 is not plural anymore hj?

p5

Certainly 2 is plural, p5.

But in that case you would have to say "B******tters" ;-)

It is time for pacifists to stand up and fight for their beliefs.

It was the dangly bits...
I was have a bad day. One of those, "you've heard of this device, so now you are our expert, please advise us on what to get and get it setup, by January"

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

and here I thought you meant Bull-S***s, therefor my explanation as to where it comes out off...

now if Sympology had written, B***s (as most Am.English speakers would), then I would have understood it, instead of the more antiquated B*ll***s... my bad...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back