Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word Merge - Formatting Fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

camster39

Technical User
Jul 22, 2003
US
I have a simple excel data source that contains currency amounts:

1 - Renewal Amount 2007 (example $25,000)
2 - Renewal Amount 2008 (example $32,000)

When I merge into MSword it appears as 25000 & 32000 respectively. How can I format in Word so that it appears as currency? I seem to remember it is Alt-F9 and then I have to apply something to the merge field.

On the same topic, how could I take date fields from Excel such as 1-21-08 and 3-30-08 and merge into word to display as January 21, 2008 and March 30, 2008.

Thank you.

Hi,

First FORMATTING changes NOTHING. It is for display only.

Do HELP on MERGEFIELD or FORMFIELD to see hoe to FORMAT.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] When a diminutive clarvoyant had disappeared from detention, headlines read...
Small Medium at Large[tongue][/sub]

Hi camster39,

You can solve the currency formatting issue by adding a numeric picture switch to your MERGEFIELD. If you select the field and press Shift-F9, you'll see something like:
{MERGEFIELD ExcelValue}
If you add '\# $,0' to this so that you have:
{MERGEFIELD ExcelValue \# $,0}
and press F9, your values will output like '$25,000'.
Other numeric switch formats you might like to experiment with include:
\# $,0.00
\# $,0.00;$(,0.00);-
and so on.

You can solve the date formatting issue by adding a date switch to your MERGEFIELD. If you select the field and press Shift-F9, you'll see something like:
{MERGEFIELD ExcelDate}
If you add '\@ "MMMM d, yyyy"' to this so that you have:
{MERGEFIELD ExcelDate \@ "MMMM d, yyyy"}
and press F9, your dates will output like 'January 21, 2008'. Other date switch formats you might like to experiment with include:
\@ "dddd MMMM d, yyyy"
\@ "ddd MMMM d, yyyy"
\@ "MMM-dd-yyyy"
\@ "MM/dd/yyyy"
\@ "MM/d/yy"
and so on.

Cheers

[MS MVP - Word]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor