Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word MailMerge with SQL file

Status
Not open for further replies.

kskip

MIS
Apr 23, 2003
US
I have a Word document one of my users needs to use to create envelopes. The document is a 'mailmerge' document and the data source is a SQL file in our ERP system. I use the find button to find a customer by customer number and the address is filled in on the Word Doc. This is in MS SQL and Office 2002.

My question is... When an address is changed in the ERP system why doesn't the new address appear in the Word mailmerge when I search for that customer?

Karen

It sounds like perhaps the ERP program is creating a temporary, static output file of the data and that's what Word is connecting to for the merge. If you're not connecting directly to the source tables, then you'll have to re-run the query in the ERP program again before you can access the updated data from within the mail merge.

It could also be that you're connecting to a different table of data than what you're expecting (like business address instead of personal address) and the updates are not happening in the corresponding section. Try re-creating the template after an update and see if the changes are there. If not, then your pointers are wrong. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back