Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word Macro Virus in Groupwise Attachment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mossy

MIS
May 3, 1999
CA
Visit site
My e-mail system is infested with a Word Macro virus (W97.Marker), and I am not permitted to bring the system back on line until I have cleaned the users' Word attachments. I cannot find any virus scanning software that will allow me to clean the Groupwise system without actually going into everyone's e-mail and opening each piece that has an attachment. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?

You can try using a server side scan to get at the virus. You can try to use a server side scanning product like Intel LANdesk or the new Symantec Norton, or one of the new Network Associates products. However, GW does not store the e-mail or attachments in a server readable format. It stores the messages and attachments as special GW bininaries. You can delete the mail message with the attachment from the GW client to get rid of it. Or you can save the attachment to a local or server directory and clean it with a normal Virus Scan product, I would recommend Norton Anti-Virus 5. As long as you don't open the attachment it will not infect your system or the normal.dot template file in Office. Just to be on the safe side you can set the normal.dot file to read only with attrib, and turn of macro execution on Office. That way if you open the attachment it has no way to spread and infect anything else.<br>
<br>
Hope that helps,<br>
Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back